free website stats program Dangerous engine cut out while riding | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dangerous engine cut out while riding

Wouldn't that(faulty Bank angle sensor) throw out a code?
Probably not if it was an intermittent problem. If it did, one of the following is probably what would display.

B1151 Bank Angle Sensor(BAS) Short to Ground
B1152 Bank Angle Sensor(BAS) Short to Battery
B1153 Bank Angle Sensor(BAS) High

That's the problem with some electrical gremlins. They're so darn hard to recreate sometimes and it leaves you scratching your head or chasing it endlessly. You could test the bank angle sensor while the bike is stationary to make sure at least the tip over function is working properly by removing the sensor and while running tilt the sensor from upright to an angle of mare than 45*. From the FSM, the following should happen.

OPERATION
The engine will shut off automatically if the vehicle tilts more
than 45 degrees from vertical for longer than one second. The
engine will automatically shut off even if the tilt occurs at a
very slow speed. The odometer displays “tIP” when a tip over
condition is detected.
To restart the motorcycle after shutdown has occurred:
1. Return the motorcycle to an upright position.
2. Cycle the ignition key OFFON
before restarting the vehicle

Check with the dealer for possible recall problem with BAS bracket cracking if you believe a code is showing as Hoople suggests

Actually I think they found it the old fashioned way. Eliminated all the other possibilities. Painstaking but I give them credit for not just swapping out parts...through my checkbook. :)

Thanks for all the great suggestions. To answer, conducted the code check and no codes indicated. No modifications to the bike other than an extra security device (Harley pager system - Harley dealer installed) and the problem was there before the installation. Checked battery connections and all are good and clean. Wiggled and wangled every wire I could reach while engine running but can't get the fault to occur. Bike only less than 20,000 kms, low for a 2008 bought in 2007. Only ever once seen the rain so everything is exceptionally clean and dry from an electrical perspective. I see an expensive dealer service invoice in my future.

Just to add my 2 cents. I had a similar problem, bike cutting out completely at random times. I don't remember if it threw any codes, but my recollection is that it did not. The problem was finally traced by a competent technician to a faulty bank-angle sensor. I never knew I had one. It shuts the bike off if it detects you've exceeded a certain lean - like falling over. The sensor was faulty and shut the bike off anytime. Replaced the sensor- no more problems. I now keep a spare in my saddle bag. I agree, pretty dangerous condition. Good luck.

Agree. Bought a used Goldwing once that would cut out and it turned out to be the BAS. Fixed under a recall that, if I remember correctly, was not publicized. Could be, and was, triggered by simply riding over an expansion joint on the freeway.

Sold the Wing after six weeks. Wrong bike for me at the time. My 2¢

Back