free website stats program D408F tire WARNING | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

D408F tire WARNING

It was done under the service warning. Still had lots of tread on the rear and no problems with it so that wasn't changed.

You know I noticed days after that the rotation arrows were going the wrong way but my handling was still OK in the rain or on dry roads. Now some 10,000 miles later I took an even closer look while going over the bike for spring, I noticed the little arrows on the front discs were the same as the tire. They'd installed the wheel backwards on the bike. I'm considering taking it off and turning it around and see how it handles. Or I'll just take it off and get my new Dunlop American Elite front tire installed. Then I'll have new rubber front and rear.

I think that would be the best solution...

Or I'll just take it off and get my new Dunlop American Elite front tire installed. Then I'll have new rubber front and rear.

I think that would be the best solution...

Took a closer look at the tire after taking the wheel off the bike. It had two slices/cracks across the tread just off to each side of the tread center.

That just confirmed my plan and now I have the new tire put on it.

Yeah, I got my FLHX new back in '09 and the stock tire was lousy. Cupped out at about 4000 miles, I went to the American Elites and haven't had a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had both Dunlops and Metzlers on my 08 Fatboy...the Metzlers definately handle better mileage about the same...but I currently have the 408 front tire on it and it has already began cupping at about 4000 miles...there will be a new wet of Michelin II as soon as the Dunlops are used up...Dunlop has a problem and it needs to be addressed...

I had my front tire replaced due to cupping and didn't replace my rear tire until 2 weeks ago.. I always had a smooth ride.. I got about 15,000 on the rear.. Have been pleased with my Dunlops.

Back