free website stats program D408F tire WARNING | Harley Davidson Forums

D408F tire WARNING

glider.

BOT Machine
Posted by Smitty901...

Dunlop tire warning.

If you have the D408F tire check it now this tire has 8300 miles on it I know of two others that have found this.
Dunlop has served me well for many years but this is not good.
dunlop1.jpg

dunlop2.jpg

dunlop3.jpg

Not trying to offend but running with low tire pressures can cause that due to sidewall flex. I have over 19,000 miles on my d408f and it still looks good and has several thousand miles left in it. I check my tire pressures several times a week. I run 36 lbs in the front and 40 in the rear. I got almost 18,000 miles on rear before replacing. The original d407f was replaced under warranty with 8400 miles due to cupping and vibration.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Were these the tires that were the subject of an H-D service bulletin or were those the D407?

The D407's were a subject of the bulletin.

Had my OE D407 front replaced due to cupping. The replacement D408 is cupped out as well after 10,000 miles.

Thanks for the heads up. Less than 4500 on mine and no sign of I but will pass the word around to friends possable saving them 6 months of picking scabs off their backside:newsmile105:

Hey Oldhippie,
When you had your D407s replaced was it under the service warning by Dunlop, or on your own? and did you replace both tires? I had the dealer change my fron tire under the service bulletin by Dunlop, but they didn't change the rear. Now my tread on front and rear run in opposite directions, and the handleing has gone bad. does anyone think the tread direction might be a factor? By the way, it pushes when cornering, and floats, or sways on straight aways...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Oldhippie,
When you had your D407s replaced was it under the service warning by Dunlop, or on your own? and did you replace both tires? I had the dealer change my fron tire under the service bulletin by Dunlop, but they didn't change the rear. Now my tread on front and rear run in opposite directions, and the handleing has gone bad. does anyone think the tread direction might be a factor? By the way, it pushes when cornering, and floats, or sways on straight aways...

Did you check the tire rotation arows for both tires?

Depending how badly worn the rear tire is or if its rotating properly.
The sensation you could be feeling is that with a worn rear tire while cornering you are falling off the squared edge that usually occurs as the rear tire wears.. As to your concern about tire running the wrong way it needs to be corrected ASAP. Do not ride in the rain till you take bike to shop. I would request the rear installed for free with new tire purchase for satisfaction of sending bike out of shop in a dangerous condition.:newsmile077:

Hey Oldhippie,

It was done under the service warning. Still had lots of tread on the rear and no problems with it so that wasn't changed.

Depending how badly worn the rear tire is or if its rotating properly.
The sensation you could be feeling is that with a worn rear tire while cornering you are falling off the squared edge that usually occurs as the rear tire wears.. As to your concern about tire running the wrong way it needs to be corrected ASAP. Do not ride in the rain till you take bike to shop. I would request the rear installed for free with new tire purchase for satisfaction of sending bike out of shop in a dangerous condition.:newsmile077:

You know I noticed days after that the rotation arrows were going the wrong way but my handling was still OK in the rain or on dry roads. Now some 10,000 miles later I took an even closer look while going over the bike for spring, I noticed the little arrows on the front discs were the same as the tire. They'd installed the wheel backwards on the bike. I'm considering taking it off and turning it around and see how it handles. Or I'll just take it off and get my new Dunlop American Elite front tire installed. Then I'll have new rubber front and rear.

Last edited:
Back