free website stats program CV carb | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

CV carb

I did replace the “o” ring in the mixture screw. I will have to ride some more because I didn’t take note of when it coughed. I thought about taking a drill bit and measure the hole in the slide but didn’t. The taper on the tuner needle is a lot different then the stock from the 93. The needle jet would match the needle in tuner same with stock? I can take the needle, needle jet and emulsion tube and slide/ spring out of the stock carb and get a bigger main jet.

Fenchie has laid it all out; follow his instructions and you will get the carb sorted. Just remember to make one change at a time.
I have attached some info the might help.

Anecdotal information. I ran a CV44 on an all bore 107" motor and installed a Yost kit in the carb. Tuned the carb on the dyno; tuned at idle, partial throtte and WOT. Bike ran good but always hae an intermittent cough at cruise, not chronic but maybe every 30-40 miles or so; jut enough to be annoying knowing it should'nt be there. So, tossed the Yost kit, back to OEM parts and back to the dyno. The dyno results with the Yost kit was 104HP/118TQ; the dyno results with OEM parts was 108HP/122TQ and the cough was gone. CV carbs are decent performers with OEM parts.

Jettng a CV carb without a dyno and being able to see the AFR is time consuming and requires patience.

Attachments

• tuningparts.jpg
    tuningparts.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1
  • CV Needle Chart.pdf
    434.6 KB · Views: 1
  • CV44 needle_jet chart.pdf
    7.6 KB · Views: 1
The cough is at low throttle when giving it gas. JP who is the local Harley shop ( Fort Bragg Cycle Supply) got his altimeter? Out and said today we were 600 feet below sea level. So I guess we are saturated with oxygen.

I did replace the “o” ring in the mixture screw. I will have to ride some more because I didn’t take note of when it coughed. I thought about taking a drill bit and measure the hole in the slide but didn’t. The taper on the tuner needle is a lot different then the stock from the 93. The needle jet would match the needle in tuner same with stock? I can take the needle, needle jet and emulsion tube and slide/ spring out of the stock carb and get a bigger main jet.
You can not intermix parts. Use the stock parts you have from stock carburetor. Make sure you set float setting with carburetor at required angle

Tell your mechanics to get his
The cough is at low throttle when giving it gas. JP who is the local Harley shop ( Fort Bragg Cycle Supply) got his altimeter? Out and said today we were 600 feet below sea level. So I guess we are saturated with oxygen.
tell the mechanic to get his altimeter calibrated or he is not reading it properly based on his conversion chart.The purpose of the CV carb is to allow for changes in the altitude pressures that is why there is a diaphragm that raises the needle to allow for more gas to pass through it or vise versa. A barometric pressure at sea level is 29.92. If barometric pressure is slightly higher you have cooler less humid air. If it is slightly lower you have warmer and more humidity in the air. The reading is just a point in time based on the weather we have and the cv carburetor adjusts for the change in pressure

Tell your mechanics to get his

tell the mechanic to get his altimeter calibrated or he is not reading it properly based on his conversion chart.The purpose of the CV carb is to allow for changes in the altitude pressures that is why there is a diaphragm that raises the needle to allow for more gas to pass through it or vise versa. A barometric pressure at sea level is 29.92. If barometric pressure is slightly higher you have cooler less humid air. If it is slightly lower you have warmer and more humidity in the air. The reading is just a point in time based on the weather we have and the cv carburetor adjusts for the change in pressure
I was at shop today and had a 2002 dyna with carburetor issues while I was doing repair I wrote down the main jet and the pilot jet sizes that were in bike. The bike did not have a tuners kit it. The jets were probably changed earlier in the bikes life. I checked the plugs and they are burning good not loading up or running to lean. This is the set up in bike I have at shop.
190 main jet.
48 pilot jet
Fuel air mixture screw at 1 3/4 turns.
The bike has a stock air filter and aftermarket exhaust.
Hope this helps with giving you a base line.

It's very common that every rider faces this but don’t have to worry. You just follow the few precautions that add fuel to a lean condition. Don’t forget the rubber diaphragm on the slide for pinholes. But in the beginning, make sure there is no leakage. Use the best bottle so it's easier to get in there.

Back