free website stats program CV carb overflow issue | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

CV carb overflow issue

Hey all, Got a carb that will NOT quit leaking out the overflow. Its a 1990 FLHTC with stock CV with 50k miles. Heres what ive done so far.
-Replaced Fuel valve and float
-Double, triple checked float height adj-even set it a lil high.
-Used a pencil eraser to "reseat" the valve seat (4 times)
-Checked for pinhole in overflow tube inside float assy
-This bike does not have a Vapor valve in the fuel tank vent and the Fuel cap is vented properly.

Im lost here. Has anyone had a valve seat that was so badly worn out that you had to replace the carb? The seat itself is not replaceable, correct??

It's probably already been said, but after everything you have done the only thing do do next is to replace the float.

Look for the screw driver slot in the end of the seat assy.

There is a gap around the seat i can fit a screwdriver into but the thing does not want to come out. And if it does, then what? You cant get a new one. Ive removed the petcock internal screen was there. Not too much debris in there. Im done with this thing for today. Try her again tomorrow.

Ive replaced everything but the seat itself. I did not think it was removeable, Is it?

I use the 5/8 long allen headed bolts to replace the Phillips headed screws on the carb(4) so i can easily remove the float bowl With the Carb ON the bike...

then see How much fuel comes out...
IF you can let the gas run Thru and then Put Finger pressure on the float UP. to Shut-off the fuel JUST to see IF it Shuts Off..

I use a rubber or plastic BYPASS hose hooked INTO the on-off valve at the gas tank to apply a little mouth suction IF it is of that type needing vacuum to flow...(lightly form a vacuum and use tongue as the plug.)

I have had a carb once that Had to be Adjusted on the Low side of the specks HD called out for...OR it would flood like yours does.... Yours might need the LOW float dimension to make it shut off properly..

Working dimension is what i would set the float at..... Just so it doesn't Starve Out at High speed.

signed....BUBBIE

I have already replaced the float and have adjusted it to the lowest setting. Stil leaks. Im going to remove the whole carb and inspect further. Flush out the fuel tank and go from there. Its just frustrating when you're on the clock.

Can you see if the washer/gasket is still in place between the seat and the casting of the carb where the needle resides? I still say it's something in the needle/seat area or bad needle tip causing the problem or possibly the seat itself but it has to be one or the other.

Have you given any thought to the vented gas cap not venting? Does it leak when cold or only after warmed up?

Can you see if the washer/gasket is still in place between the seat and the casting of the carb where the needle resides? I still say it's something in the needle/seat area or bad needle tip causing the problem or possibly the seat itself but it has to be one or the other.

Have you given any thought to the vented gas cap not venting? Does it leak when cold or only after warmed up?

Ok just got it back together. Removed petcock and cleaned out tank. Replaced fuel line. (old line was not recomended for fuel and was very soft) Completely removed the carb and completely disassembled and cleaned throughly. Replaced the needle and float with brand new parts. Fuel tank cap is venting and just to be sure i left the cap off. STILL LEAKS!! but now its not coming out the overflow hose, the fuel is comming out of the slow and main circuit air inlets at the bottom of carb opening.One thing i did notice that ive never seen before was the pin that holds the float to the carb body fits very loose in the holes in the pedestals. The holes are ablonged (egg shaped) Takin a breather and installin a set of pipes on a fat boy for now.:bigsmiley19:

Dumb question but are the jets tight in the housing?

Where is the float set at now? Standard height or high/low?

:bigsmiley12:Maybe the fuel level is not high enough to reach the overflow tube, but its leaking past the oring on accel. pump nozzle. Making it look like it coming out the slow and high speed circuit air inlets. Just a thought. Ill try to find a accel pump noxzzle o-ring.

Yes jets are tight and float level is set a lil low @ 18mm= .708" Spec for float is .725-.735"

Back