free website stats program Curious Tranny Noise?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Curious Tranny Noise??

fpd4308

So I have been hearing a funny noise coming from the primary area of my bike. Kind of between a chirping and a clacking noise it seems to occur when cruising at speed down the road. Also when downshifting to second with clutch in I get the noise until I add power and let the clutch out. I have a closed belt primary with a dry clutch so it always seems to make a little bit of a ticking noise when the clutch lever is out but I am noise paranoid so I thought I would see of anyone had an suggestions. I would hate to have a tranny go and wipe me out at 65mph.

Thanks for all the help

Are you running a chain or belt final drive? How are you venting your primary?

Are you running a chain or belt final drive? How are you venting your primary?

Chain Final drive, and I am not really sure about venting the primary. The drain plug is removed from the primary if that is what you mean?

Chain Final drive, and I am not really sure about venting the primary. The drain plug is removed from the primary if that is what you mean?

Most of the belt primary drives I've seen have been open to the air, with a guard sometimes added to the outside. I've been told that they are open for two reasons, 1. They look really cool and old school. 2. It helps to cool the belt and the clutch. Maybe its not necessary I've just always been told that it was.

Most of the belt primary drives I've seen have been open to the air, with a guard sometimes added to the outside. I've been told that they are open for two reasons, 1. They look really cool and old school. 2. It helps to cool the belt and the clutch. Maybe its not necessary I've just always been told that it was.

Ok I see what you are saying. The design of this one is such that the starter jack goes into the hole in the stock primary cover otherwise the starter jack wouldnt have any support at the end to keep it from catching and breaking off when starting...unfortunately I learned this from experience....lol

What type of dry clutch and is this a 4 or 5 speed? 4 speed dry clutches with open or vented primarys were pretty noisey

My FXST has an encosed belt primary. It is always clicking and squeaking and generally making me think something is wrong. Just make sure the derby cover is vented or it could get too hot.

Thanks for the advice I will have to shop around for a vented derby cover. I also took out the bike today and narrowed down the noise so maybe that will help.

When in neutral with the clutch lever out the clutch/transmission seems to chatter. Pull in the clutch lever and chatter goes away. Doesnt seem to do this while moving in gear.

When down shifting to second or first I get a slight sound like marbles rolling around. Seems only to do it when downshifting into those two gears and it is only slight. Seems like if I hold the clutch in for a few extra seconds before downshifting it lessens even more.

Hope that is a tad more specific than my first post.

Doug

Back