free website stats program Cruise Control for Softails | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cruise Control for Softails

With the push/pull throtle and friction tensioner she should adapt well. In my opinion if a person still has hand/wrist/arm issues its probably the reach and angle of the bars. Its also pretty tricky to get both bikes speed matched with cruise...

Really no problem with comfort as far as reach, hand and wrist. It is a matter of being even more comfortable. We bought this heritage so we can travel around the country whenever we wish to, me on the EG, her on the Heritage. The idea is to be able to go days on end with shear comfort while visiting all those places we always said we are gonna go too. The kids (4 of them two daughters, Nurses, one son an engineer for John Deer and another in the Army) are grown, graduated from college and out on their own. We the lovely Mrs. Slapp and I are only in our mid 40s and it is our time now. My bike the 09 EG is perfect for me with all the push buttons and do dads, now it is a matter of getting hers done the same way. I want her to feel like this heritage is a recliner going down the road. I know what you are thing... why not a diffrent type of bike or something of that nature. The reason being is because this is the bike she always wanted. In her eyes it is the best of both worlds, cool to look at and ride across town, while at the same time ready to go cross country. Any woman who looks at riding like that, I am going to do my best to make it comfortable for her to do it. This trip to Niagra Falls is only the first of many to come, I want the ride right so we can continue on to countless more journeys.
Thanks for letting me ramble.
May your God Bless each and everyone of you at this wonderful time of the year and please be safe.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

They say don't take advise from someone you wouldn't trade places with... we ought to be listening to you, sounds like.. LOL,.

Hey I think you guys will be fine without cruise. Distance ridinging kind of takes a few runs to get in shape anyway. I know a few who after the first 500 mile day say "forget it". But those 500 mile days do actually get better. My suggestion - just go for it!

I found a "Breakaway" kit for my '07 Heritage. I was a little skeptical at first, but found a slightly used one on Ebay for half price. I thought what the (EDIT) , I'll give it a try & if I don't like it, I'll sell it. But when I took it out of the box, I was surprised to see how nicely made this thing was. Very high quality machinging & material. Fit perfect, and although I havent ridden with it yet, It should be welcome relief on the highway. When you get to the desired speed or RPM, you push a thumb button and it clicks. To de-activate back to idle, you hit the thumb lever, and it clicks back to the idle position. I can adjust the speed up or down with little resistance, and it de-activates back to idle when I touch the front brake.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless I am mistaken the '10 softails have an all new wiring harness and cruise is an option on the '10 softails. I know there are aftermarket kits that adapt the touring model Cruise to the softails. A guy that rode on a iron butt ride with me last year had one on his heritage.

Hey Bull Dog, you are right about the build up to long runs, once the holidays are over we are going to start on some short rides and start building up to longer and longer rides. The good thing for us is that my side of the family is large (11 brothers and sisters) so we are planning rides to visit the family, each one a little further away. We have already completed several rides that include riding here and there for around 5-6 hours. Lots of stops and lunch or dinner. She, the lovely Mrs. Slapp is getting better and better on the bike along with fine tuning her riding skills both on the open highway and stop and go traffic. I swear she is more often than not ready to go ride before I am, you gotta love it. She is like a kid at Christmas every time I mention we go for a ride.
On that note I just purchased a set of maps from the local dealer that include the four surrounding states with pre-set rides all charted out on them. The maps are rubber coated for durability and come in a nice carrying case. A little pricey but I think worth it as now we are not wasting time trying to figure out where we want to ride to, these maps can be purchesed separatly as well but cheaper by the group. We just pull a map out and pick a ride. The biggest decision is do we wish to make it long or short trip.
Stay right and enjoy life.

I have an 07 Heritage with factory cruise. I bought the kit from Cruisemount and got the factory stuff from ebay. I don't know if Cruisemount has a kit for yours, check their website. Total cost for me was under $700.

Way to go Slapp. When I bought my FLSTC I hesitated because I thought I needed cruise. Turns out I don't. If my wrist gets tired I will just stop and medicate it

Heard rumors from here and from others that I have met in passing that the 2010 Heritage was wired for cruise, it is just a matter of the install. The Misse's Heritage is a 2011 so I would think that yes it would be wired like the 2010 and be cruise compatable. Heading to the dealer today today to confirm my suspicions a friend of mine who knows all the ins and outs of this sort of thing will be back from his holiday vacation, will keep you all posted.
Be safe and enjoy.

No the 2010s are not wired for cruise, but as I posted earlier you can install one for a Road King with the proper return cable. Now the 2011s may be because they switched over to the HDLAN system.

OK, visited the dealer yesterday and talked with my buddy. Apparently SOME of the CVO Heritages are wired for cruise and some of them are not. Now the ones that do not come with cruise are not even wired for cruise they only have the CVO paint and motor. To me this makes things all crazy, why not use the same harness for all, along with programing. Stands to reason you would sell more add ons down the line.
So that is the scoop on cruise, I will check out all my options from the friends here on HDtalking and go from their. I just want to say thanks for everyones input it helped a lot.

Back