free website stats program Credit cards | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Credit cards

I never let my credit card out of my sight, when purchasing in any establishment, here in OZ, or overseas!! :23:

You have to watch people close with your cards. I have heard of people taking pictures with phones before to get the card number and dates off of them and then using them. It is ashame but it happens all of the time.

I bought the insurance, it's cheap and I don't worry about it anymore. However, with that being said, I'm still very conservative as to keeping an eye on the card and how many I carry at a time. I have only three (two gas cards, one credit card) and those are used when I'm out on the road. Just take precautions. Note: Might call the credit card companies ahead of time if your gong on a long trip, being they will "lock" 'em and leave ya stranded until you call them....this will happen at the most inopportune time! Believe me. )

Also, if you use your credit card on the internet, be very careful, this is what my wife found out the hard way. It helps if the site has a https:\\ in front of the url when inputting the card information. I can explain in more detail if you pm me. Anyway, the internet is just as dangerous concerning using your credit card.
Ugly John

A relatively safe way to buy on the internet is to use PayPal. It's free to start, and if you get and use their credit card, there's no limit on the number of purchases or dollar amount before you have to start paying for the service.

There are two other advantages, especially when buying from Ebay: first, Paypal will guarantee the sucess of the transaction in many cases (truthfulness of the ad, safe delivery, etc.), and second and most importantly, the seller doesn't see your credit card number. Only Paypal has the number, and if you feel you can trust them, you're pretty safe from others.

A relatively safe way to buy on the internet is to use PayPal. It's free to start, and if you get and use their credit card, there's no limit on the number of purchases or dollar amount before you have to start paying for the service.

There are two other advantages, especially when buying from Ebay: first, Paypal will guarantee the sucess of the transaction in many cases (truthfulness of the ad, safe delivery, etc.), and second and most importantly, the seller doesn't see your credit card number. Only Paypal has the number, and if you feel you can trust them, you're pretty safe from others.

I do not think so... Will NEVER EVER EVER USE PAYPAL AGAIN!!!!!!!! I am still fighting them over the fraud charges and it has been almost a year......

I have 1 credit card and I SET THE LIMIT at $150 and that is what I use. If more $$ are needed I call the company to increase by what is needed and that is all. If company tries to increase limit I refuse. All 4 credit reporting agencies have been notified and I have frozen my records. NO NEW ACCOUNTS OR REQUESTS FOR REVIEWS of my credit history can be issued without my approval first. Most police department, fraud divisions, will have the information on how to accomplish the freezes. Also for those that said leave you DL instead DO NOT..... All info on your DL can be used to open accounts. Some states even use your social security # for your DL # which is one number you NEVER want out in the open. My identity has only been stolen once. Lucky for me I caught it early thanks to my credit card company calling about an unusual purchase. However, there have been several other attempts due to companies being stupid and their data being lost or stolen. I.e Veterans Admin, Bank of America, Tricare to name a few.

I try to purchase a much as possible with cash and use credit cards only if I do not have access to the cash.

Tony

I do not think so... Will NEVER EVER EVER USE PAYPAL AGAIN!!!!!!!! I am still fighting them over the fraud charges and it has been almost a year......

I have 1 credit card and I SET THE LIMIT at $150 and that is what I use. If more $$ are needed I call the company to increase by what is needed and that is all. If company tries to increase limit I refuse. All 4 credit reporting agencies have been notified and I have frozen my records. NO NEW ACCOUNTS OR REQUESTS FOR REVIEWS of my credit history can be issued without my approval first. Most police department, fraud divisions, will have the information on how to accomplish the freezes. Also for those that said leave you DL instead DO NOT..... All info on your DL can be used to open accounts. Some states even use your social security # for your DL # which is one number you NEVER want out in the open. My identity has only been stolen once. Lucky for me I caught it early thanks to my credit card company calling about an unusual purchase. However, there have been several other attempts due to companies being stupid and their data being lost or stolen. I.e Veterans Admin, Bank of America, Tricare to name a few.

I try to purchase a much as possible with cash and use credit cards only if I do not have access to the cash.

Tony

Using a "credit freeze" is a great option to prevent someone from hammering you with identity theft. The freeze takes away the money incentive of identity theft. The thief can't open new credit accounts in your name.

Some decent info on how to do a credit freeze can be found at the following link: Clark Howard: Credit Freeze Guide on clarkhoward.com

My wife and I did this some time ago. We also did it for my wife's mom.

Another little Credit Card safety tip: Most of us have cell phones these days, so if you do, take the time to program the 1-800 # on the back of your credit into your phone book on your cell phone. It makes it a lot easier to cancel a card immediately if your card is lost, stolen or forgotten.
If your drinking in a bar on a tab and they want you to leave your credit card with them, see if you can leave your license instead, I've been handed the wrong card back a couple of times and it's a lot harder to not notice it's not you in the picture.:cheers

That idea of saving the 800 phone number on your cell is a great one. I never would have thought of it. I'm going to be doing this right away. Thanks for the tip wildspirit

I have an idea. Send all of your credit cards to ME! Then in one month cancel them,it won't do you any good,but I will have had a heck of a lot of fun and I will send you pics!:D(though none of my face):newsmile070:

Back