free website stats program Crankcase Breathers | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Crankcase Breathers

I have the Big Sucker and did exactly like the one in Dolt's first picture. used the same bolts and plugged the small holes in the front of the backing plate that would normally allow the blow by into the intake with JB Weld. Tee'd the hoses and routed down between the primary toward the back. No catch can or filter. IMO a filter is useless and requires maintenance and may as well dump it to the ground. Catch cans are expensive. Just be sure when tie wrapping your hose to not do it to tightly......Ask me how I know? That dipstick sure flies a long way. High too!:D

I would agree on your point about a filter; however and IMHO, a catch can is a worthwhile element in an external crank case venting system. You are correct that they are expensive but there are DIY solutions such as PVC pipe that one can use to fabricate a catch can for less that $10. A catch can stuffed with the filtering mesh used in the OEM head breathers will catch most of the wet stuff in the vented mist and keep the exit point a lot cleaner and minimize any dripping to the floor. Of course, that will also depend on the quality of the ring seal.:coffee

I re routed the crankcase breather today so it will dissipate in the atmosphere. Not running a filter yet but will keep an eye on it to see if I need one.:s

I have the Big Sucker and did exactly like the one in Dolt's first picture. used the same bolts and plugged the small holes in the front of the backing plate that would normally allow the blow by into the intake with JB Weld. Tee'd the hoses and routed down between the primary toward the back. No catch can or filter. IMO a filter is useless and requires maintenance and may as well dump it to the ground. Catch cans are expensive. Just be sure when tie wrapping your hose to not do it to tightly......Ask me how I know? That dipstick sure flies a long way. High too!:D

I also have a Big Sucker on my Road King and Dyna. The technique Bodeen describes work perfectly. On my 77 FXE, I don't use a breather filter either.

Like a well oiled machine! :D The only reason I used a filter (cheap $4.00) was to keep the oil mist from getting on the floor when I parked it.

Back