free website stats program crank runout | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

crank runout

DSC07712.jpg

DSC07713.jpg

DSC07714.jpg

Total indicator reading was .0015" ( one and a half thou ). Still deciding either gear cam or hydraulic chain tensioner. Will keep you updated.

Total indicator reading was .0015" ( one and a half thou ).

Great numbers for sure. Back from the good old days when they assembled a crank the right way. Not the "press and go out the door" 96 cranks of today.

I got that link TQuentin1. Thanks. I decided to go with the roller chain conversion. The only piece of information I'm missing is the allowable measurement on the crank and cam gear alignment. I'm aware of the cam end play measurement which is .008"-.012".

I got that link TQuentin1. Thanks. I decided to go with the roller chain conversion. The only piece of information I'm missing is the allowable measurement on the crank and cam gear alignment. I'm aware of the cam end play measurement which is .008"-.012".

I have not seen a spec on runout for the roller chain conversion. The only spec is the max which I believe is .012" with the service wear limit of .010" in the case. Check this out:

Max runout? - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

i have measured with and without cam plates and it will pull in some run out, the most i have measured is 0.004" variation between with and without the cam plate, harley spec at about 0.003" or 0.004" measured on a crank stand and about 0.012" in the cases on the end of the pinion shaft, they also have a spec for measuring on the output shaft on the primary side

Back