free website stats program Correct me if I'm wrong | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Correct me if I'm wrong

There is a special exclusion for businesses however the new motorcycle and or car fall under the energy savings tax and CAN be a write off for the average person. As I stated in an earlier post it only comes into play if you itemize on your taxes. If you have no major decduction or do not own a home then odds are you will not be able to use this tax excemption.

Special Tax Break Available for New Car Purchases This Year
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, which went into effect in February 2009, allows state and local motor vehicle sales taxes and motor vehicle excise taxes to be taken as a deduction on your federal tax return. Any new car, light truck, recreational vehicle or motorcycle purchased between February 17 and December 31, 2009 qualifies. New vehicles of any model year qualify so long as the buyer is the vehicle's first owner.
Any vehicle sold for under $49,500 qualifies for the full deduction, but consumers may also deduct sales taxes on the first $49,500 of any vehicle sold above this price. It is considered an "above the line" (for itemizers and non-itemizers) deduction on federal tax returns. Buyers with a modified adjusted gross income of less than $125,000 or joint-filers making less than $250,000 in 2009 qualify. The special deduction is available regardless of whether taxpayers itemize deductions on their returns and can only be claimed next year on their 2009 returns.

New vehicle purchases made in states without a sales or excise tax — such as Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon — will also qualify for a deduction. Taxpayers in these states can deduct other fees or taxes imposed by the state or local government that are based on the vehicle's sales price or as a per-unit fee.

The actual amount of your deduction depends on your tax bracket; consult with a tax professional for more details.

Here's the IRS link:
Special Tax Break Available for New Car Purchases This Year

Last edited by a moderator:
Back