free website stats program Converting Auxilary Lights to HID | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Converting Auxilary Lights to HID

Menmia, Great info and update. I am going to take a look at those E-code conversion setup for myself. They may be the ticket. Tks!

Hoople, I can vouch for the difference in the beam pattern on the e-code too. It alone is worth the investment, too bad I was too stubborn to stop there. Reading on RallyLights, they have two different reflectors you can use, one is DOT legal for cars and the actual e-code one is not legal for cars, but is legal for motorcycles. I almost went the safe route until I read it again.

Pete, I just sent back my H3 bulbs, it turns out the bulb for the aux lights is not the 9005 or 9006, it is actually a bulb that cars are using for their fog lights, it is an 880/894 bulb. Luckily DDM has that too, so in about 2 weeks I should have the new 880 bulbs to install. They handled it like I wasn't the first guy to order the wrong bulbs. Their systems use the same ballasts, so I just had to send back the bulbs and they will ship me the replacement bulbs with no restocking fees. Surprised me with how well they handled it. They even had me send them pictures of the stock bulbs so they could compare them to what they stocked. After them looking at their stuff and me doing some more looking around we agreed that the 880 bulb is the right one. A word of caution though, if you are riding something older than 2007, you will probably have sealed beams without replaceable bulbs. I think the replaceable bulbs started in 2007, so if you are going to do this I recommend pulling one side to make sure what you have in place.

I will let you know once I get the replacements in and have a chance to install them.

Hoople, I can vouch for the difference in the beam pattern on the e-code too. It alone is worth the investment, too bad I was too stubborn to stop there. Reading on RallyLights, they have two different reflectors you can use, one is DOT legal for cars and the actual e-code one is not legal for cars, but is legal for motorcycles. I almost went the safe route until I read it again.

Help me understand. My Dyna has (1) 5 3/4" headlight. If I go with an E-Code conversion, where do you find room to mount the ballast? All the Ballasts I have used in the past (Bosch) are pretty large in size and the high tension wire going to the bulb is only about 12" in length.

Based on your experience so far, what do you think my best option would be. I don't mind my Hi Beam being tungsten. As long as I still have a high beam of any type, I would be happy.
My primary concern is an enclosure that is designed for the HID capsule in order to reduce/eliminate stray light.
Tks!

Help me understand. My Dyna has (1) 5 3/4" headlight. If I go with an E-Code conversion, where do you find room to mount the ballast? All the Ballasts I have used in the past (Bosch) are pretty large in size and the high tension wire going to the bulb is only about 12" in length.

Based on your experience so far, what do you think my best option would be. I don't mind my Hi Beam being tungsten. As long as I still have a high beam of any type, I would be happy.
My primary concern is an enclosure that is designed for the HID capsule in order to reduce/eliminate stray light.
Tks!

Hoople, The e-code conversion is just the reflector. If you take a look at the RallyLights page you can find it throws a different light pattern that projects the light better than the standard HD reflector. The ballast would be part of the DDM HID kits. I can't say how much space you have behind the light, but the DDM ballasts are much smaller than I have seen with others. I will see if I can get a picture of one tomorrow (and figure out how to upload pictures), but you might be able to find the dimentions on the DDMTuning site too. Are the Dyna headlights H4 bulbs? I ask because that is the type of bulb that the standard e-code (ECE) 5 3/4" reflector is designed for. They also have a reflector for an H1 bulb. I did not have to look at the different ones as mine was a 7" H4. I can't say the e-code is designed for the HID light, but it did work out well for me. Rode some more today and no drivers flashing me, so I am thinking I might be good.

I would also recommend calling DDM about the size of the ballast. I knwo the guy I talked to, Aaron, was a Harley rider too. I believe he mentioned he rode a Dyna, but did not mention doing the HID upgrade.

Heck, with your knowledge of HID, I would just say order the RallyLights e-code reflector, install that and see if it throws the light better for you. I do like the pattern difference between the e-code reflector and the standard reflector. But I also like that bright 5000K light shining through it too.

Menmia,
I think your right. The bulbs are 880. Did you plan on changing out the aux reflectors with some type of e code reflector or do you think the stock harley ones are good enough since it is an aux light?
As far as the headlight. I would like to hear your thoughts after a night ride. How do you like the hi beam. My understanding is that there is no difference in wattage just a shift in the beam. With that being said is it enough? Is it better than stock as far as filling up the road with enough light?
Also, The e code reflector that you bought. Does all of the stock harley trim fit with the lens change? Did you have to modify anything?

Pete, I am not going to change the aux reflectors. I did think about it, but it is hard to find 4" reflectors out there. I think the standard refelctors will be fine, I hope I just need to adjust them downward.
For the headlight, it was a drop in swap. It can be done in 10 minutes without removing the fairing and all of the trim should fit without an issue. I only have the stock trim, but the reflector has the same tabs as the stock reflector and was an easy install.
I did a little more night riding and I am not getting any negative feedback (flashes) from oncoming traffic, so that is good. I am not a very good reference for high beams as I rarely use them, but I can tell you that when you switch to high beams it does change the location of teh beam and it lights us the street signs very well. Street sign reading is about all I use the high beams for anyway. But as for the brightness not changing, the difference between the 55W to 65W between stock low and high really is not enough to make a difference, it is really, as Hoople mentioned, the change in location of the beam. So, yes, there is a difference in the beams on the HID bulb from low to high, but there is absolutely no need for a brighter light for high beams.

Menmia,
It will be interesting to see how the reflectors in the aux lights do. I bet with the headlight hid and the aux lights hid that you should be much brighter while pulling less amps. Hopefully the beam spread is adequate to light up as much of the road as possible. Sounds like you are on the right track. I'm sure allot of people will be interested if it is a success. Please keep us updated. Thanks

I am sure the net result is going to be pretty good especially since your stacking 2 auxiliary lamps on top of a headlight. Whenever I used HID lamps, I always went with a pure white (colorless) temperature on the bulbs. I stayed away from the "purple" tint you see so often today. They did go through a blue transition during warm up but once fully lit after 5 minutes it had a color temperature to die for. (pure white colorless) A wide deep blanket of light with a vertical cut off as straight as a laser. Objects on the road just pop out at you.

You may hit a few speed bumps along the way but it sounds like your going to get the results your looking for.
Tag me if I can be of any help.

Hoople, You asked about the size of the ballasts. If I am successful, there is a picture with this post. :) This is what DDM calls their 35W ballast, the 55W ballast is just a little longer. The ruler is inches in tenths.

I also like the pure white look much better than the blues and purples you see out there. The more daylight I have in front of me, the better I like it.

Attachments

• IMGA0616b.jpg
    IMGA0616b.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 18
I installed this kit on my 09 Street Glide. It was a simple install, about 2 hours.
Only problem I encountered was the ballast died on me and I was without a headlight on my way home from a weekend ride.
Drag Specialities sent me a new kit and I replaced the ballast and all is well.

I would like more information on the reflector. The light is very bright and not sure if it is as focused as it could be with the OEM reflector.

HID KIT HEADLIGHT FLT [2060-0205]
DRAG SPECIALTIES
Appears In:

HARLEY 2010 · Printed Catalog Page #669
Suggested Retail Price: $149.95 SpecificationsDescriptionBRAND Drag Specialties
BULB STYLE HID
COLOR Bright White
FUNCTION Dual
PACKAGE Kit
STYLE HID Conversion Kit
TYPE Headlight
· High Intensity Discharge (HID) lighting conversion kit, replaces the existing H4 bulb· Kit includes HID bulb, controller, wiring and instructions for easy installation· High and low beam functions in a single bulb assembly· Suitable for application in fairing/nacelle housings only; will not fit in bullet-style headlights· Color temperature 6000K (bright white)

Back