free website stats program Constant Rear Chain Slack | Harley Davidson Forums

Constant Rear Chain Slack

MsDazlr

I have an 883 bored out to 1200, XLH. I replaced the chain about almost a month ago, and have had to get it tightened 3 times now and it needs it again!

I just had professional mechanics go over the whole bike and said the rear chain is no good and the sprocket is now shot. I called the guy on the phone today and he said that there is no way the chain should of gotten this slack since they tightened it last week on Thursday.

I had taken a passenger 170 miles on a trip Friday. We both weigh 130 pounds. Is that the reason why this chain stretched again?????? DAGNABIT :(

I'm going to suggest a few things.

1) Rear sprocket is not aligned with front one. Check the rear wheel axle allignment.
2) Wrong chain was installed, wearing out rear sprocket.
3) New chain was installed to tight.
4) Rear sproket worn causing new chain to wear.

Anyone else ????

Ok, I had the super pro's look at it and I think they definitley would of know if they were out of alignment.

I had the right chain, but a cheap one put on. It was not a nickle Oring one, it was an imatation...LOL I did not know at the time that there was that much difference in chain's.

I had the chain installed and we had it so that there was only a 1/4 in. slack, but as with new chains, it stretched. I have put 4000 miles on it since the begining of May!

Now the last point you said could of been a biggie. Maybe the rear sproket was worn before putting on the new chain. Didn't know you should change the sproket and the chain at the same time.

Because many of us live with dollar-based limitations, the temptation is always present to only replace the parts that are obvious. But, just as in car timing chains, you never replace just one component. Replacement of the entire drive train (both sprokets and the chain) is standard operating procedure as recommended in service manuals and common sense.

If either sprocket is worn it will cause premature wear on a new chain, which will then cause premature wear on the other sprocket.

Upon recieving my first Harley last August I bought the HD factory manuals immediately and read them thoroughly. Having ridden metric bikes for 39 years (and working as a professional mechanic for same for several years), I needed to learn American motorcycle mechanics.

I was quite surprised to learn that, even with the rubber belt drive, that the sprockets wear in similar fashion to chain sprockets and that standard practice of replacment of belt and both sprockets is the prescribed policy. Pictures of worn belt sprockets are provided for example.

Go figure......

That was good Scottaudio. I didn't know to replace the other sproket too. Jeez, I won't have any money left for gas after all the money I sunk into this bike. LOL This is my first one, and I am learning just how much of a luxury it is. LOLOL There is a lot involved in bikes. I am hoping when my college study's are over, I can take a motorcycle mechanics course, so I can do my own work instead of paying all the labor fee's!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back