free website stats program Complete Engine Oil Draining | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Complete Engine Oil Draining

Most boats don't have access to the drain plug in the oil pan. They use a vaccum pump usualy inserted through the dip stick tube to remove the oil. don't worry about getting ALL the oil out. change it and then run if for 5 min once every 2 weeks or so and your good to go.

LOL Not sure why anyone would go to that much trouble? As stated they aren't formula 1 engines and geeze..the original Harley Knuckleheads and Panheads and Shovelheads are still out there running without all that extra fuss? I read about some guy who went around the world and has 550,000 k on his 1994 Harley. (341,754 miles) ? I don't think he worried about draining every drop and he rode through really ugly spots? Heres a link if you want to read about it
Peter and Kay Forwood on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. World's Most Travelled Motorcycle.

:D Geeze I wonder if any Non-Harleys made it that far?? Oh wait ..this Harley has the world record for having been ridden in every "recognized" country in the world??? LOL
My two cents.
Ever hear of Emilio Scotto's ? he holds Guinness book for miles on his Gold wing.
Ten years of riding through the worst countries the world has. He has a great book called the Longest ride.....just though ya'll would be interested.

Running a motor that has been put away for winter for 5 minutes every two weeks is not something one should do. It only serves to heat up the engine enough to draw/collect moisture like a magnet. A 5 minute engine run will do more harm than good.
WAP.gif

The rings, valves and other components can stick/seize if a engins is left undisturbed for a long period of time. Starting a engine every few weeks for 5 minutes during the winter months will not allow for a traceable amount of moisture. Not starting a engine will allow the oil to drain off the internal bare metal and cause internal rust. Air and moisture WILL get into the combustion chamber without the eng running through the intake and open valves.

Back