free website stats program Compensator Nut Re Torque | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator Nut Re Torque

glider.

BOT Machine
You'll know when the compensator nut loosens up when you hear a knocking like a bad rod in the engine mostly at idle and when starting off.

There was some problems with the nut bottoming out before the torque was reached on the compensator nut. This was mostly on 03 and later bikes.

It can be remedied by using a shim or milling the nut itself.
The shim for the compensator assembly is Part#24033-70. It's .090 and keeps the compensator nut from bottoming out before the proper torque is reached. Red locktite after a thorough cleaning and get the new tightening sequence instead of the torquing procedure you are using now.

The amount to cut off the nut if you go this route is 0.030" if you are milling the compensator nut (30 thousandths of an inch) ~ 1/32"

Here's the procedure for torquing the compensator nut.

Attachments

• Compensator Torque M1170.pdf
    106.9 KB · Views: 158
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mr. Data,

Thanks for your post.
I had problemes since I rebuilt that engine( An Evo 1987 FRXC). First I made a big mistake. Put the oil pump oil seal the wrong way. Cost me at least $500.00 on the rocker side(bushing and shafts.) Luckaly, the crankshat d'int suffer much. . Then, I had that knock at idle. Took your advise and mill 20 thous out of the end of the compensating sprocket nut. What a difference? You were right. I shoulded go like you said..30 thous.

Sorry for my english, I'm from Quebec Canada. I do my best. »lol

Pierre

Back