free website stats program Compensator, Inner Primary Bearing, And All Seals | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator, Inner Primary Bearing, And All Seals

FXDL4ME

I need my compensator, inner primary bearing, and all seals replaced on my 2007 Street Glide. Dealer just called and quoted me a price of $1450.00. Sound right or too much?

Try finding a Indy in your area that works on Harleys, you’ll find it much cheaper than a dealership.

That's just it though. That IS an indy....one I've been doing business with for well over 10 years. They've always been honest and treated me well. They've saved me a lot of money over the years, which is why I kinda balked when they gave me the quote. Just wondered if it was in the ball park.

That's just it though. That IS an indy....one I've been doing business with for well over 10 years. They've always been honest and treated me well. They've saved me a lot of money over the years, which is why I kinda balked when they gave me the quote. Just wondered if it was in the ball park.

Price all the parts it will take to do the job and the left over would be labor. HD here charges $100 per hour, and I understand some dealerships charge more. You can determine if his price is in the ballpark.
There is a lot to be said for a mechanic who is trustworthy, they seem to be few and far between these days.

The compensator is about $100 and the associated bearings, gaskets and seals should not cost more than $100 so look like the shop wants $1200 for labor. So, depending on shop rate of $100-$125/hour, shop estimates this to be a 10-12 hour job. Consider the job requires the R/R of the outer primary cover, compensator/clutch/primary chain, R/R of the starter, R/R of the inner primary, R/R if the IPB and race and the fact that the bike is a touring model and not a softail 10-12 hours seems a bit excessive to someone that has done that job several times. The first time I did it it took about 8 hours but I had to make a trip to the dealer for some parts. I have't timed myself on the last few times I did this by if all the parts are on hand and Murphy doesn't rear his ugly head, I am sure I could get it done in less that four hours without rushing through it.

Maybe talk to the indy and let him know this might be a DIY project but the OP might need the indy to R/R the IPB and seal. Maybe the indy would come down on the price if he though he was going to lose the work.o_O

This is a DIY project and the OP could save a bunch of money by buying the parts, the trans nut socket, the IPB race R/R tool and fabbing up a home made tool to pull the IPB into the inner primary case (I have a small press) or take the case and bearing to the indy or dealer and have them press it in. May be able to tap it in with socket; never tried. Just need basic hand tools, service manual and a little confidence; it's just turning wrenches. The only challenge for us DIY guys if the large nut on the trans pulley; it can be a PITA to break loose. However, renting a 3/4" electric impact will break it loose. It is very brittle so drilling two 1/4" holes on opposite sides and striking with a chisel will break it; new nut is cheap.

The OP might consider upgrading the compensator to the latest HD iteration in either case; indy or DIY. Seriously, it's not that hard, a bit messy with all the fluid but not a difficult job.;)

Last edited:
Back