free website stats program Combination speedometer / tachometer | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Combination speedometer / tachometer

It could be. If the pin added to the connector is not fully seated, or there is an intermittent connection somewhere in the tach signal lines, you could get multiple extraneous pulses from vibration (signals are generally pulled up or down at their destinations). This condition may be revealed when the area around the intermittent connection is heated, resulting in a bit of expansion. The intermittent connection could be a bad internal solder joint. I can't tell from here. Like any product, bad ones can get out.

My statement was not intended to negate issues "all" others may have had. My intent was to show that some folks have had issues due to faulty installation, and to show how the installation could be corrected. Some issues are correctable by users. I have been able to help some in this regard.

I replaced a bad original speedo with my new combo unit. Bad units do exist.

Good luck,
Rich P
I did not have to add any "pin" to a connector during my installation.

I did not have to add any "pin" to a connector during my installation.
I don't know about your particular model. On Roadkings, at least up to my '03 model, no tach signal was brought up into the tank console. The tach signal line is sent to a loose wire left under the headlight cowl (likely for add-on handlebar-mounted tachs). The installation kit provides a long wire, to bring the signal to the speedo connector in the tank console. This kit wire is fitted with necessary connectors, including a pin to go in the speedo connector. Pins do not slip easily into this connector, so some press them in as far as they think is sufficient, but they do not click into place, so they work their way back out in a brief time (especially with heat and vibration). The required tach signal may be brought to the speedo connector from the factory, for your model. I guess it must be, since you did not have to add it. In my wiring harness, the tach signal line is pink (PK on the wiring diagram). It may be different for your model.

The tach signal originates from the ECM (likely derived from the crank position sensor signal), and is used by the cruise control (if present). If your machine is running well, I don't think your CPK sensor or ECM is bad. If I was there, I would check the tach signal with an o'scope, so I could see what your tach is seeing. If you can get your hands on a frequency counter (in most electronic multimeters), you might be able to at least look at what frequency the tach signal runs at various rpms, including the times in question. Positive on the signal line, negative on any ground reference (be careful not to have the meter set for resistance measurements). You may need to have the meter set for AC measurement to see signal line frequencies.

Since the speedos, and speedo/tachs, on these machines go through a startup sequence, they are likely micro-processor based, rather than some kind of electro-mechanical. You may have another bad unit.

I wish could help you further,
Rich P

It is expensive, but the looks alone make it worth it over stock. I have 07 softail deluxe. As far as gear indicator is does work, the only light that doesn't is the one that tells you to switch gears. Im only having one problem and that is trying to get to the point in programming to have it with different colors. I debated getting this for over a year and i'm really happy I did.

Decided to purchase combination analog speedometer/tachometer. Harley part # 70900070A. $299.99 plus tax. Looked at adding a tach by itself and it would cost between $100 and $200. Install was very easy and requires no Dealer flash. First observation was WOW. It looks so much better than stock one. I think all bikes should have a tach and initial ride proved it is an awesome upgrade. The unit supports all displays from 2008 and up. All mileage and trip settings are identical to stock. There is a LCD readout for fuel and also a gear indicator to tell you what gear you are in. Sometimes this may come in handy to know with a quick glance even they typically you know what gear you are in. Adding a digital gear indicator to your handlebar is around $199. There are all kinds of color options for all dials. Something like 600 and all displays and pointers can be different colors. I have not changed any yet. Default color is orange for all dials and poiners are red. All in all I am very impressd after a week. The real question is longevity. That will be answered after a while.

I just installed one on my softail... I love it. Many reasons why but mostly because there is much more information on the face at the same time (much less scrolling using the "trip" button= safer). MPH, RPM's, Fuel Gauge, clock, gear... and prob a few more things I am forgetting. You still have to use the trip button to scroll through other information that, in my view, are more for cosmetic\ cool stats than info you'd like to have when riding.

I really like the look of it too... and you can customize the color to every element of the display to any color you can possibly think of... no limit to the color combination possibilities.

Now I just need to get rid of the fuel gauge in my left tank cap.

Back