free website stats program cold start problem 97 Road King | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

cold start problem 97 Road King

I don't know what else to add. I tried both methods to extract the codes with no results. I have the ignition and run switches on, the engine light comes on for 4 seconds then goes off and stays off with the pins shorted together. When I tried the method of turning the ignition switch on and off with the three second intervals there are still no codes. Should there be codes showing even if they are historic?

do you get the rapid check engine light flashing?

No, it seemed to come on when the idle went high then go off when it idled back down and repeat until the bike straightened itself out.

A Common Saying I think I'll take credit for is "Everybody Need a Hoople in their Tool Box"

Hoople is a needed tool we are LUCKY to have here at HDT.com....:D

signed....BUBBIE

I agree there completely.:D

No, it seemed to come on when the idle went high then go off when it idled back down and repeat until the bike straightened itself out.

Have you checked for an intake leak yet?

It could be something as simple as that and the ECM is seeing the hunting for the correct speed and setting a code. Also have you tried to reset the idle speed yet?

Morelli Idle Speed - Harley Davidson Community

Setting Idle On MM Systems - Harley Davidson Community

Based on the link that Redfish posted, you can see the idle control is a 4 wire hookup which means it's a stepper motor.. I would guess the check engine check light is coming ON because of the inability of the ECM to "step" the idle lower when the RPM needs to be lower.

What you need to look at is the physical position of the stepper pushrod when the check engine light comes on. You can see in figure #1 of the link, the control actuator pushrod. If there is clearance between the pushrod and the bracket when the ck light comes ON, you know it's not a stepper motor issue because the stepper is doing everything it can to lower the idle and it can't.
If you don't see clearance at the pushrod, it probably is a sticky stepper motor just not winding back enough.

Use table #1 chart for a TPS voltage reference to determine if the butterfly is at the proper position.

(don't know if the link is a picture of what you actually have, zero experience with MM)

Back