free website stats program Coil arcs | Harley Davidson Forums

Coil arcs

FatBoyJim

Hi all. First post here, but long time reader. I'm pencilling in Glider for Pres on my ballot this fall! He's helped me out many times so far without even knowing it. So here's my latest problem. I have the Crane Hi4e on my 99 fat boy. Today I fire it up and hear a ticking noise. I look at the coil, and there's a spark coming from where the rear plug wire plugs into the coil to the chrome coil cover. I shut it down and make sure the boot is all the way on and it is. Start it up again, and look a little closer and the spark is coming out the "seam" where the coil halves are melted together. I make a quick fix and bend the chrome coil cover out far enough to stop the arcing, but I'm thinking about a longer term fix than that. If i wrap black electrical tape around that area on the coil, will that do it? If so, are there any problems using that coil still? Should I bite the bullet and buy a new coil? Any help would be much appreciated.

I would go for a new coil.. but to use it for now silicone the seam heavy that should keep it from arching over

Hi all. First post here, but long time reader. I'm pencilling in Glider for Pres on my ballot this fall! He's helped me out many times so far without even knowing it. So here's my latest problem. I have the Crane Hi4e on my 99 fat boy. Today I fire it up and hear a ticking noise. I look at the coil, and there's a spark coming from where the rear plug wire plugs into the coil to the chrome coil cover. I shut it down and make sure the boot is all the way on and it is. Start it up again, and look a little closer and the spark is coming out the "seam" where the coil halves are melted together. I make a quick fix and bend the chrome coil cover out far enough to stop the arcing, but I'm thinking about a longer term fix than that. If i wrap black electrical tape around that area on the coil, will that do it? If so, are there any problems using that coil still? Should I bite the bullet and buy a new coil? Any help would be much appreciated.

Get a new coil for piece of mind. If this was a recent install, call Crane or send them Email. Maybe they will send you a new coil under warrenty.

Thanks for that FBJ but I have enough problems being who I am now:D

You can probably get away with a temp repair using some epoxy resin like the two part in the two tubes but I would replace the coil myself. Like mentioned above, contact the manufacturer about a warranty with the coil, you never know.

Thanks for the responses guys. You confirmed what I already knew, which is get a new coil. I will be contacting Crane however. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Back