free website stats program Clutch trouble | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch trouble

ausibatla

I have followed the instructions in the forums for adjusting the clutch in my '88 Springer. When I pull the clutch lever in I get a distinct click on the side where the actuator is. I removed the pipes and the cover and everything looked fine. I split the plates and the ball bearings were still in their grooves and looked in good condition. I put it all back together and adjusted it again and it worked fine. I did two runs of 40km and was getting ready to go on a much longer ride but that click was still there. I took the bike out of the workshop so I'd be ready to go when my mate arrived but when pulling the clutch in while trying to get neutral it collapsed again. I had no clutch. The lever went straight to the handlebar. The weird thing is I popped it into first and there was only a slight drag but I was able to ride it back to the workshop and stop while still in gear without it stalling. I adjusted the clutch again and when I adjusted the cable the clutch lever only came half way to the bars and was rock hard and the clutch plates never moved. I had to go on the run on my XV1100 Virago.
Anybody got an explanation.
Cheers.
:bigsmiley23:
:AUSTRALIA

Make sure the throwout bearing is not trashed, it is the small bearing on the right side of the transmission, underneath the clutch release cover.

Check the ball and ramp mechanism for any damage.

Also make sure the cable is not coming apart, it should move freely when both ends are disconnected, if there is any drag, replace it.

The `88 clutch is not the same as the `90 and later clutches, there is a little more involved to get it adjusted properly.

Before you perform the clutch and cable adjustment, check the diaphragm spring adjustment (make sure the cable is disconnected and the clutch pushrod is backed out so that the pushrod is loose when you do this adjustment).

Follow the service manual procedure. Most of the posts you see about adjusting clutches assume the clutch is `90 or later.

flst89 - Thanks for the advice, mate. I'm going over to the workshop to pull it apart and check it all out. I have already ordered a new clutch cable.
Cheers.

Back