free website stats program clutch question | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch question

Billbo

I have a 2001 Heritage Softail w/50K miles. Just the other day I noticed for the first time - while starting the bike I always hold in the clutch lever and have in neutral. Well, the bike just sorta hinted (very slight) that it wanted to move forward while the starter was engaged. With tranny in N and clutch lever pulled in -- how does this happen? What might, if anything, need adjustments?

Thanks
Bill

Morning Bill. When was the last time you changed your primary fluid? When was the last time you adjusted your clutch? Even when you pull in the clutch lever the plates have a little "stiction" and tend to grab before they let go. Try adjusting your clutch and get back to us.

Sorry 'bout that folks!! I just noticed another post asking simular questions about the clutch and that "lurch".

Still wondering how that happens with tranny in neutral and clutch pulled in (disengaged)
My transmission shifts very smooth and clutch does not slip.

Bill

I have a 2001 Heritage Softail w/50K miles. Just the other day I noticed for the first time - while starting the bike I always hold in the clutch lever and have in neutral. Well, the bike just sorta hinted (very slight) that it wanted to move forward while the starter was engaged. With tranny in N and clutch lever pulled in -- how does this happen? What might, if anything, need adjustments?

Thanks
Bill
That doesn't make any sense Bill, if in neutral and clutch pulled in there's nothing to drag/move the bike forward. You said this only happened once? Are you sure it was in neutral?

Morning Bill. When was the last time you changed your primary fluid? When was the last time you adjusted your clutch? Even when you pull in the clutch lever the plates have a little "stiction" and tend to grab before they let go. Try adjusting your clutch and get back to us.

good morning to you too and thanks for that quick reply HDDon. I will follow that other post and try the clutch adjustments. You know I can see all that happening with the bike 'in gear" and the clutch pulled in - it might tend to lurch if clutch is out of adjustment, but when in Neutral, it shouldn't lurch forward at all. JMO

Bill

That doesn't make any sense Bill, if in neutral and clutch pulled in there's nothing to drag/move the bike forward. You said this only happened once? Are you sure it was in neutral?

Thanks Jeff. It actually happened twice - once at home and again when leaving church. Not much, but, did seem to lurch IN NEUTRAL.
Note - I always put bike in N before turning the engine off. and when starting - I always make sure it's still in N before starting again. It is possible that the bike was in gear - possible - but certainly not likely and I even believe it was definately in neutral. Didnt make sense to me either so I posted the question here.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jeff. It actually happened twice - once at home and again when leaving church. Not much, but, did seem to lurch IN NEUTRAL.
Note - I always put bike in N before turning the engine off. and when starting - I always make sure it's still in N before starting again. It is possible that the bike was in gear - possible - but certainly not likely and I even believe it was definately in neutral. Didnt make sense to me either so I posted the question here.

Bill
I'm baffled Bill, If it we're me I think I'd check for proper linkage adjustment. Maybe it shows it's in neutral but maybe it's not fully in neutral. JMO.

Bill, what compensator sprocket do you have? Is it possible you are experiencing the comp sprocket bang and thinking the bike is lurching forward?

Even though the transmission is in neutral the trans. main shaft is turning as it is connected to the crankshaft through the compensator sprocket. With the turning mass of the trans. and a slightly misadjusted clutch the plates can stick together even if the lever is pulled, and give a slight jerk as the plates become unstuck. That Is why I ask if a clutch adjustment had been done in a while.

Even though the transmission is in neutral the trans. main shaft is turning as it is connected to the crankshaft through the compensator sprocket. With the turning mass of the trans. and a slightly misadjusted clutch the plates can stick together even if the lever is pulled, and give a slight jerk as the plates become unstuck. That Is why I ask if a clutch adjustment had been done in a while.
Don, I have to respectfully disagree, if the transmission is in neutral/not engaged the bike won't move trying to start it. IF that we're to be the case here it would be a first in my book. I've worked on many trannys and have never seen or heard of what you described. JMHO.

Don, I have to respectfully disagree, if the transmission is in neutral/not engaged the bike won't move trying to start it. IF that we're to be the case here it would be a first in my book. I've worked on many trannys and have never seen or heard of what you described. JMHO.
One more thought on this issue, if what you mentioned in you're post Don was true don't you think more of use would experience the same issue? Again JMHO.

In order for this scenario to to play out the clutch would have to be so far out of adjustment that I doubt you would be able to even shift the transmission without a major grind. I think it was stated it only happened a couple of times, again if the clutch was that far out of adjustment it's my opinion it would happen all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning again.
Don, Jeff and Jack -- thank you all for your input here. Just a couple of things to mention -- I have not adjusted the clutch. The transmission/clutch seem to be working as they should. The clutch does not slip and is actually set up pretty nice when in gear and letting it out (lever) to take off. It shifts good and is (for the most part and most times) quite and smooth. I use Redline Shockproof Heavy in the tranny and HD Formula + in the primary. This has only happened two times as I mentioned. But, the bike was in Neutral and the clutch lever was pulled in - something I always do ever since Bubbie suggested pull in and hold for 5-6 seconds before shifting down into 1st gear from neutral.

It did not 'clunck" - but it did act like the clutch was engaging and the bike moved (not lunged or anything violent) just moved forward hummmm not more than about 1/2" just a very small bit. Sorta like starting IN GEAR with the clutch not totally disengaged.

I read up in my repair manual on clutch adjustment and will take the advice given here and give that a try and see what happens. I will get back with all you all with results. Meantime, oh yeah, just thought of this too -- sometimes I have difficulty finding N - seems I go from 1st to 2nd - back to 1st then back to 2nd a couple times before i get the green N light.
I know to adjust the clutch is the first thing I need to do now so that's what I will do.

Thanks to all for your help.
Bill

Back