free website stats program Clutch Problem? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Problem?

I had similar question (handled by PM by Chopper). I've always noticed this with any HD, that engine off - pull in clutch handle - put in gear - will not free wheel. Seems strange, but its how it is

My Road King is like that also. When cold it won't roll in gear with clutch disengaged. Rolls much easier when oil is warmed up.

Just a wee bit more on the clutch if you look at the friction plates you will see that the friction part is in lots of seperate bits around the surface of the plate and with the oil it works like a wet sucker sticking to glass thats why oil depth and thickness can affect the operation of the clutch
when the engine is spinning the clutch is also spinning and when you pull in on the leaver the spring is pushed off the plates the spinning of the plates helps seperate the oil suction bond of the plates and throws excess oil off the plates

Brian

I own a few sportys, two 883s and an 04 1200 rubber mount. On the 1995 883 when I go out on it The clutch seems to take a second bite. I have a few sets of traffic lights near my house. The bike is fine pulling away but then when I stop at the lights and go to pull away it engages fine, but then bites again almost feels a turbo kicking in. It only does it in the first ten minutes when cold. Ive checked the cable and the mechanism with the three ball bearings all this seems fine, not had time to pull the plates apart yet.. Its not the first sporty that Ive had do this. I had an 01 883R that done the same, I sold it, I did tell the guy about it, he said he would sort it as he knew what it was ,Maybe I should of ask him at the time. I am using HD primary oil.(always do)

Back