free website stats program Clutch Engaged, Bike in gear, Won't start?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Engaged, Bike in gear, Won't start??

all police bikes have this feature. couldn't figure it out on my rkp until i changed out the controls and there it was. did reconnect it so it stayed the same.

Problem is when you happen to stall the bike when the light changes. We've all done it. So there is a semi barreling up your behind and you a sitting there putting bike in neutral. No thanks!

AGREE HERE,,,,,, with you...

You HAVE to have the option to start it when you pull the clutch handle IN...

signed....BUBBIE

Can't even imagine why this is available. Very dangerous IMO.

I Have Had a time or two, where my engine Killed and IF I didn't get it started right off the bat,,,, A collision from behind was eminent..

The way it is set up IS when in gear With the clutch handle squeezed IN,,, the engine will kick over to start.

I have done this (killed engine) in Seattle Wa. on a steep hill... No way was I going to try to go to Neutral to start the bike.
Both feet were needed to stabilize the bike.

Glad for this feature.:10:

signed....BUBBIE

OK, I always thought it was a moco safety thing as my 08 Softail does not start in gear w/clutch in...hmmm

Problem is when you happen to stall the bike when the light changes. We've all done it. So there is a semi barreling up your behind and you a sitting there putting bike in neutral. No thanks!

Don't disagree, of course you should be able to start the bike in gear. You are talking about the exception to the rule. Just saying that the general practice of starting in gear is a bad idea. If neutral is hard to find, fix the problem, it shouldn't be hard to find.

Exactly right Bubbie. Also, requiring the clutch to be in to start bike while in gear will prevent inadvertent starting while in gear and clutch out. This might prevent one from jumping forward and running into the garagae wall.

OK, I always thought it was a moco safety thing as my 08 Softail does not start in gear w/clutch in...hmmm[/QUOT
I have a 2011 Heritage, it will not start in gear with the clutch pulled in, must be in neutral, has been this way since new

Back