free website stats program Clutch cover gasket | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch cover gasket

I have run into simalar situations with the O ring being to big, but not by 1 1/2" as you have encountered. I prefer the O ring to the flat gasket, and when they want to be fussy I find a few small dabs of High Tack evenly spaced around the groove will hold the O ring nicely while I fit the Derby cover. And I always wipe all gasket surfaces with Alcohol (either isopropal or denatured, saving the good stuff for myself) before any reassembly.
Thanks for that info Midnight. I have heard of others using the High Tack. It seems like a good idea. I'll have to give it a try instead of just fiddling with the o ring in the groove and hoping that it stays in place while I try to put the cover back on.

Jack that looks exactly like the gasket that I had in there. It is the one that I reinstalled. It's not leaking, thank God!

The was it was explained to me was that the flat gasket is sold alone and the orange O-ring comes in a set which also includes the primary drain o-ring, transmission o-ring and oil o-ring.

The was it was explained to me was that the flat gasket is sold alone and the orange O-ring comes in a set which also includes the primary drain o-ring, transmission o-ring and oil o-ring.
My first trip to HD to get a gasket kit for fluid changes and when I ask for the o-ring they might not have said I couldn't get it but they sure led me to believe they were being phased out due to leaks. Well it has been a year and 3 fluid changes and I am still using the "pancake" gasket that was there when I bought the bike. So I still have the first one I bought in reserve, and to tell the truth it still looked in great shape. So I doubt I'll be going to the o-ring. fwiw

My first trip to HD to get a gasket kit for fluid changes and when I ask for the o-ring they might not have said I couldn't get it but they sure led me to believe they were being phased out due to leaks. Well it has been a year and 3 fluid changes and I am still using the "pancake" gasket that was there when I bought the bike. So I still have the first one I bought in reserve, and to tell the truth it still looked in great shape. So I doubt I'll be going to the o-ring. fwiw
My flat gasket looked practically new when I removed it. I would have replaced it and put the new O ring in it's place had the O ring fit but it didn't so I reused the old pancake style one and it is working just fine. I originally posted this because I merely wanted to put the right gasket/O ring under the clutch cover and the whole thing became confusing to me when the O ring that he sold me was not what I would find when I removed the cover but rather the flat, pancake type. Then ,to make matters worse, the darn O ring was too big!! That is when I turned to all of you guys/gals! Really appreciated the input!
Jim

I re-use my flat pancake style all the time and no problems. I've had the same gasket for a couple years at least.

Back