free website stats program Clutch / Belt Inspection Cover seal leaks! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch / Belt Inspection Cover seal leaks!

I have not gotten one off yet...so the current question is, how do you get off a stripped allen head screw?

Use the same size drill bit as the threaded portion of the screw (drill needs to be smaller than the head) and drill the head off. Go slowly. If you have one or access to one use a left handed drill bit and you may get lucky and it will back the screw out. If red locktite has been used you will have to apply some heat to soften the locktite.

You can try putting a torx bit in there & slowly turning it out...don't use any power tools (hand only), or is there enough of the head out to get a vise-grip to bite? If not, might have to drill, extract & tap/thread new holes...good luck!

Or try a spline drive easy out, drive it in with an impact driver easy tho so as not to crack the primary:s

Are these the numbers your looking for? View attachment 7281

Ok, got the cover off without too much hassle after all, checked the casing number, the seal that was on there was the wrong one. I installed the correct ( according to the tech note pdf Chopper posted) and it STILL leaks. This has been an on going issue with these seals apparently. Anyone else had a similar experience and if so, what was their resolution?

thanks

What about getting a sheet of gasket material and cutting/doubling the thickness of the gasket? Or how about some permatex to help seal things up?

I know it might be hard to tell but is it leaking around the gasket or around the fasteners?

It's leaking from the gasket, ever so slightly, oozing a few of drops a week. Adding some sort of gooey sealant will be the next step.(EDIT) to have to do it. I'll update when I do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back