free website stats program Clutch assistance please | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch assistance please

rhonda28146

Hi all.

I have a 95 Sporty 883 XLH, just barely over 6,000 miles. Present to me last August. I have ridden about 700 miles on it so far, not all at one time.

I have noticed a drop or two of fluid when I park the bike, under my clutch cable. The clutch cable also has some residual fluid on it.

Today when riding, I feel like it skipped 2nd gear when trying to shift up. I wasn't in netural, it just didnt go into gear. I shifted up to 3rd & 4th with no issues. I was able to shift down into 2nd, and later on (after a stop sign) I shifted up into 2nd with no issues.

I have also noticed it has a tic sound.

What do you suggest? I have the service manual. I have searched posts here, and cannot find an over flow valve to blow out... I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but have worked very little on the bike so far. I have done only very easy things. I just don't know where to start looking.

Help. This is supposed to be my primary transportation right now, but now I am very worried.

Thanks

Hi all.

I have a 95 Sporty 883 XLH, just barely over 6,000 miles. Present to me last August. I have ridden about 700 miles on it so far, not all at one time.

I have noticed a drop or two of fluid when I park the bike, under my clutch cable. The clutch cable also has some residual fluid on it.

Today when riding, I feel like it skipped 2nd gear when trying to shift up. I wasn't in netural, it just didnt go into gear. I shifted up to 3rd & 4th with no issues. I was able to shift down into 2nd, and later on (after a stop sign) I shifted up into 2nd with no issues.

I have also noticed it has a tic sound.

What do you suggest? I have the service manual. I have searched posts here, and cannot find an over flow valve to blow out... I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but have worked very little on the bike so far. I have done only very easy things. I just don't know where to start looking.

Help. This is supposed to be my primary transportation right now, but now I am very worried.

Thanks

Welcome to The Forum, The first thing I would do is get a factory manual, second, check your primary fluid level and adjust the clutch, sounds like the clutch cable may be leaking where it enters the case

For the oil leak perhaps best to clean the area up with a degreaser and get all the oil off and inspect regularly to try and find where the oil is coming from as oil will migrate and drip from the lowest point on the bike
Check the level of the primary oil as this oil lubricates both the primary and the gearbox if low could give some problems with shifting gear
Check clutch adjustment as per your service manual

If you find that the oil is coming from the clutch cable then the o ring where it fits into the primary may have deteriorated over the last 17 years and will require replacement
For your year of bike you can detach the clutch cable from the release mechanism through the derby cover and remove the cable without stripping the primary cover off to replace the o ring but first drain the oil or it will all run out of the clutch cable hole

I am not sure of what overflow valve you are looking for

Brian

For the oil leak perhaps best to clean the area up with a degreaser and get all the oil off and inspect regularly to try and find where the oil is coming from as oil will migrate and drip from the lowest point on the bike
Check the level of the primary oil as this oil lubricates both the primary and the gearbox if low could give some problems with shifting gear
Check clutch adjustment as per your service manual

If you find that the oil is coming from the clutch cable then the o ring where it fits into the primary may have deteriorated over the last 17 years and will require replacement
For your year of bike you can detach the clutch cable from the release mechanism through the derby cover and remove the cable without stripping the primary cover off to replace the o ring but first drain the oil or it will all run out of the clutch cable hole

I am not sure of what overflow valve you are looking for

Brian

Yeah, kind of stumped me too on the valve, I know older sporsters had a level screw you could remove to check the primary fluid level

Check the fluid level like the guys have suggested above. Even if it is not low, inspect the clutch cable sheath. I had the clutch cable wear through the sheath on my bike so there was a small slit that would let oil leak out. The woven cover on the sheath was always oil soaked. Could not tell what the problem was until I got the fabric out of the way and inspected the sheath carefully. Replaced the clutch cable assy and no more problem.

TQ

Yeah, kind of stumped me too on the valve, I know older sporsters had a level screw you could remove to check the primary fluid level

I am pretty sure that the 93 sportster was the last one with a primary level screw as the 94 had a redesign of a lot of stuff including the primary cover and clutch release mechanism

Brian

Back