free website stats program Clutch and tranny | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch and tranny

matthewcarter

I have a 1983 Sportster xlx 1000. Just got it running after it sat for 2 years. Cruising down the road and rpm's rev and bike would not move. Every gear was like it was in neutral. Took off the clutch cover and found a little fluid with a lot a metal shards. The chain inside and the teeth are in excellent shape. Do I keep digging inside to find the problem? I would think that one of the clutch plates is the problem but not sure. Any ideas if it could be deeper than the clutch assembly?
Help me please!
I have pictures of the case,fluid in the case and the metal shards if it would help someone help me.

Thanks,
MC

List of things I have done to the bike:
Throttle Cable
Battery and Battery Cables
Cleaned Carburetor/Going to replace with S&S 40mm Carb and Intake
Choke Cable
Spark Plugs
Chased Wires for nicks and cutts
Lubed Chain
Oil and Filters
Brake Adjustments

Going to replace near future:
Carburetor (S&S 40mm Carb and Intake)
Head Lamp and Assembly
Clutch???
Tires
Generator
Regulator

Theres more but later down the road

Thanks
MC

Attachments

• harley 007.jpg
    harley 007.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 54
  • harley 008.jpg
    harley 008.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Did you do a clutch/clutch cable adjustment,add/change tranny fluid and re-check before heading out?? How much fluid (est.) does the picture show??

My clutch felt a little tight but not to tight. I did not check fluid level in the trany, I looked for the fluid dipstick and could not find one.
I think it was about a half of quart of fluid that came out of the casing when I drained and removed the cover. I was told when I picked the bike up from my dad that it was serviced by a mechanic before it was parked. He also told me that the carb was rebuilt but no way did that happen. Accel pump leaks like crazy, bowl and flap are in terrrible condition (replacing carb).
Put about 50 miles on the bike just testing it out! OOOOPPPPSSSS!

Possible a clutch adjustment with a fluid replacement. Lastly look into the cable hanging up and not releasing. Sounds like the mechanic that serviced it before it was laid up worked for a dealership :s.

I could also be the plates hanging up from sitting that a fluid change may take care of, only way to tell is change it , adjust it and ride it.

What's up with the anti-dealership rants around here?maybe I'll just go and hide in my dyno cell.

Nothing against you personally Fisher. I have just not found a dealer after trying quite a few locally that know what they are doing or do what they should do and do it right without making an issue out of it.

They are all interested in their bottom line and not interested in doing the job at hand or doing it properly I have found, there sloppy when it comes to doing a job and really don't care about someone else's ride.. They are careless and have scratched a couple my bikes on a few occasions when they were in for a warranty covered repair. They eventually made good on the damage but what I had to go through to get it done really wasn't worth it.
I bought a WG back a few years that they scratched the primary cover and the windshield and after a stink about it, they changed it.
Well to make a long story short, they replaced the cover with the wrong cover that had the larger starter jsackshaft bushing and soon after the jackshaft let loose and ended up doing a bit of damage in the primary.
Then there was the RK and the steering head bearings needed to be adjusted so I thought what the heck, it's under warranty so I made an appointment to let them do it and waited around as agreed. After hanging around for an hour and a half, I was told it was done and rode off out of the lot. The first bump I went over the knocking was still there, so I brought it home and did it myself. There wasn't a finger print on the bike when I got it back so I can assure you if you knew this dealer that they didn't even go near the bike.
Upon calling the dealer the next day, I was asked If I had the invoice number by the service manager who was off the day the bike was in there and gave him the number. He looked it up in the computer and found that the invoice had been deleted 10 minutes after it was entered. Needles to say the asst service manager no longer works there now. Seems he did this to a few customers and was relieved of his position and job three days later.

Then there was the time when I changed the TPS/throttle setting to raise the idle just a tad and messed it up in the TPS setting causing a trouble light. I took it in and explained what I had done and wanted them to reset the TPS value to the factory setting . They started off by telling me that they had no info on that setting or the value of it but they were kind enough to lighten me of $114 for the job finally because they had to use the digital tech to adjust it and when I returned home with the bike, I checked the volts at the TPS with a DVOM and it was exactly where it was before the visit. Nothing had been done at all except for lightening my wallet.
I called the owner and explained what had happened and he told me to bring it back and they will make it right. When I returned, the service manager that did the job told me to just ride the (self edit) bike. Nice way to do business. Anyone that knows these bikes knows that the proper TPS setting is necessary for the ECM to give the proper parameters for other systems. I stood there this time and watched him do the adjustment with the dig tech. I could have returned it to the .41 volts with the DVOM but wanted to be assured that the idle was corrected also while they were hooked to the bike, something as you know can only be done using the digital tech.

As you can see, I have very good reasons to rant about the dealers and their lack of quality work as well as non professional mechanics doing shoddy work.
That's why I do my own work and will not return to a dealer/stealer unless it is a warranty item.

I'd be the first to give kudos to a dealer that was worth a pound of salt, but to date I haven't found one yet.

There's been many other issues too where there have been pure garbage answers in reply to a problem that only goes to prove what idiots most of these dealers and personnel are.

How about a factory oil that "changes" into a high detergent oil at 500 miles and I will do damage to my engine by draining it a 100 miles and replacing it????? Sound right to you?????

Then there was the time when the dealer finally replaced the part they damaged on one of my previous bikes and in doing so chewed up every fastener that they removed to the point of looking like they used pliers to remove them. Is this SOP on a new bike to make it look like it was 10 years old???
They eventually replaced the fasteners and agreed that it was a sloppy job.

I could go on and on with many more instances of poor quality work and dealers firsthand but why bore anyone here with this nonsense.

Last edited:
Re: dealers

I do not know how many dealers you have tried, as your post seems to be centered around one. I am more than aware that most communities are lucky to have one HD dealership.

We are fortunate in Las Vegas to have 3, so the competition is there. As I noted in another posting there is one that I am not inclined to use their service department because of an employee putting me down for riding a Sportster. However, the sales and parts department are outstanding and truly "bend over backwards" to help.

I spent several years (in the late 60's and 70's) as a mechanic for first a Suzuki, then a Honda and ended my career with a Yamaha shop. I can truly say the mechanics I worked with had the same high ethics and customer service attitude that I had (and still do in my work today) and realize that you do not have a business without return business.

I hope you find an HD dealer that meets or exceeds your expectations. They are out there, but obviously you have to find them.

Steve

Steve

These experiences are centered around 3 local dealers for which I cannot give them any kind of a decent reference at all.
The local one had the good service manager who knew his business , but they wouldn't pay him his worth so he left and went back to the dealer where he use to work which is too far to travel to.

That's really sad-we are lucky that the competition between 3 dealers (and one only 2 hours away in Kingman AZ that is VERY competitive) pushes our local dealers to perform. I hope someday you are as lucky, and I need to be thankful!!!

Steve

Back