free website stats program Clutch Adjustment Video | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Adjustment Video

glider

Veteran Member
Here's an easy explanation of doing the clutch adjustment in a video.
ALWAYS adjust the clutch on a COLD motor otherwise you could have shifting problems as the motor warms up.

YouTube - Repairing Motorcycles: DIY Maintenance : How to Adjust a Motorcycle Clutch Pack

How to Adjust a Motorcycle Clutch Pack: Repairing Motorcycles: DIY Maintenance | eHow.com

This is the clutch cable adjuster.
Clutchfreeplay.jpg

For a bit more input on clutch cable adjustment, refer to this page which is an older harley but the cable adjuster and free play still pertain to the newer models. Figures 2 and 3 are for an older bike.

Maintaining Your Clutch Cable

Just a tip here, it will be easier when doing the clutch adjustment to put the trans in 5th gear so the lock nut will be easier to loosen and tighten after you are done without it turning.
Turning the center clutch adjuster nut more then the 1/2 turn towards 3/4 of a turn will bring the clutch friction zone closer to the bar, but you don't want it too close to the bar because the result is incomplete plate separation and neutral will be hard to find.

For throttle cable adjustment , see this post...

Throttle Cable Adjustment Video - Harley Davidson Community

Here's the easy clutch adjustment method...

Easy Clutch Adjustment Method - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
hey Mr. Data, thanks alot for the video on clutch adjustment. looks pretty simple, I'll give it a try.

This was very usefull. I would recommend this video to anyone about ready to make a clutch adjustment.
Easy quick painless.

:)

DCWC
2008 Ultra

Great video. I must add that on my 09 RKC that the lock nut on the clutch pack is recessed so that a standard open end 11/16 wrench does not work, you need a deep offset box to tighten the lock nut while holding the adjusting bolt steady.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words then a video would have to be worth so much more. Yours was so very helpful and watching it gave me the confidence to tackle the job myself with very satisfactory results. Thank you.

Back