free website stats program Clutch adjustment issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch adjustment issue

I'm getting alot of slop in my clutch lever and it was shifting a little hard today. So I opened up my manual and looked up clutch adjustment. Got slack in the cable and popped the clutch inspection cover and loosened up the jam nut, adjusted the clutch screw, tights the jam nut and then took the slack out of the cable. Put the cover back on and have great lever tension with almost no slack. Now when I pull out in first gear the clutch doesn't grab untill it's almost totally out. I feel that it's not right or am I just not used to it. Not sure, it's all new to me. only thing I'm thinking is I should not have touched the clutch adjustment screw and just should have taken the slack out with the cable adjuster but I didn't realize it untill it was too late. Bike has 6k on it and the clutch prob should not have been adjusted, just the cable. Is it too late to put the clutch adjustment screw back where it was? And start over?

Adjust the clutch pack to 1/2 turn out from lightly seated. Only adjust the clutch on a cold motor.

Any adjustments I'm making with the screw are done when the cable is loose. I backed the adjustment screw out a tad and redid all the steps and it seems better now. What will happen if it's a little warm when I do it?

Any adjustments I'm making with the screw are done when the cable is loose. I backed the adjustment screw out a tad and redid all the steps and it seems better now. What will happen if it's a little warm when I do it?

Tolerances all change when warm:s

So if it's working well now, when I leave for working in the morning it could be way off from how it is now? And then I'll have to do it all over again?

So if it's working well now, when I leave for working in the morning it could be way off from how it is now? And then I'll have to do it all over again?

Really depends on how warm the clutch pack is, all adjustments should be done on a cold clutch, you will know in the AM Good Luck:s

Lol. Great. This kind of stuff keeps me awake at night! I'll be out there in 2 hrs when it cools. Thanks for the help guys and quick replies.

Lol. Great. This kind of stuff keeps me awake at night! I'll be out there in 2 hrs when it cools. Thanks for the help guys and quick replies.

The key word is cold. Like after sitting overnight, then perform adjustment.

Back