free website stats program clunking front end | Harley Davidson Forums

clunking front end

Melroy

Account Removed
I have a '93 FXDL. Whenever I hit a pot hole, even at a very low speed, the forks seem to bottom out. CLUNK. I've changed the fork oil and am not sure what else, if anything I can do.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Yep, steering head bearings are probably loose. The factory upped the torque from 40 to 100 lbs. I set them at 70 lbs and no more problems.

There's a thread on cluncing front ends. Sure you'll find info there. You would not believe the amount of info our Oracle (Glider) has put there for all to look at.

I replied to a post in a different forum about the factory change on the torque for the fall away on the front end....I stated it was @ 35 and it was changed to 75 foot #s lots of folks wanted to know where that info came from. Because of the concern about the mess up with the torque numbers that the MOCO changed.

I could never find the the info again to prove the fact, but I know it is a fact.

There is also a fork spring ( slap ) that you might get from hitting a sharp spot in the road...that is normal, so myself would like to see the torque setting change info, so I can pass it on to the folks:D

I replied to a post in a different forum about the factory change on the torque for the fall away on the front end....I stated it was @ 35 and it was changed to 75 foot #s lots of folks wanted to know where that info came from. Because of the concern about the mess up with the torque numbers that the MOCO changed.

I could never find the the info again to prove the fact, but I know it is a fact.

There is also a fork spring ( slap ) that you might get from hitting a sharp spot in the road...that is normal, so myself would like to see the torque setting change info, so I can pass it on to the folks:D

It was a tech bulletin, I am trying to find it to post here. I had it but can't find it now.

Back