free website stats program Close call - Lesson learned | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Close call - Lesson learned

Glad you're okay. I'll bet when you realized that you were getting "boxed in" an alert went off inside of you telling you that this is where you shouldn't be. Sometimes before we know it certain events control us rather than the other way around. Thanks for sharing your harrowing experience.

Thanks for the reminder. My father taught me "Son you can look at any random car at any time on any road, think of the most stupidest thing they could possibly do at that very moment and 9 times out of 10 they will do what you were thinking." Sometimes you gotta prepare for the "imaginary" idiot you can't see thats likely gonna be pulling some dumb move.
I've always used that and it's saved my butt many many times.

Great recovery!!! Glad you are ok !!! Did the knuckle head driver even know what he had done?

Riding home last Thursday after work, I ride through the city. It is 4 lanes one way, with the right-most lane peeling off as right turn only, with a stop light for the turning lane. The other 3 proceed around a left hand bend.

As I have to bear right shortly after the "peel off" I usually ride in the lane that will become the right most lane after the right turn only peels off.

Traffic flows at about 35 mph in that area. Just at the peel off for the right turn only lane, (who have to stop) this car decides they are not only not turning, but not stopping either - and proceed to "merge" into my lane.

I know, I know, I ended up locking up the rear for just a second before releasing it, and the rear kicked right, pointing be headed into the traffic lane next to me. Quickly, I gathered the 800 pound plus scoot back under control, hit the throttle, (my only way out at that time) and counter-steered hard around the mind-changers front fender. Now that got my heart pumping which is really not a good thing since I just had another heart attack on July 4!

So, after every incident, I try to analyze what I could have done differently. I came to the conclusion after replaying it in my head, that i let myself get boxed in. I am usually very aware of my escape route, but did not allow for one for that split second. Finished the commute home, pulled the scoot in the garage and then noticed a small white paint spot on the right highway peg. The car was white!! Closer than even I thought!

Ride safely, leave yourself an out.
WAP.gif

you may not have noticed but were they talking on the cell. I work alot road construction and over half cars i see go by are using cell phones it is realy getting outta hand. u can usualy tell by the sillouette if they are even from behind. Is somthing to watch for. glad your ok

Thanks for the reminder. My father taught me "Son you can look at any random car at any time on any road, think of the most stupidest thing they could possibly do at that very moment and 9 times out of 10 they will do what you were thinking." Sometimes you gotta prepare for the "imaginary" idiot you can't see thats likely gonna be pulling some dumb move.
I've always used that and it's saved my butt many many times.

Very good advice to ride by.....:s
I ride with this theory and in 26 years have had great success.....

Back