free website stats program Click, click, click-not starting -bad switch ?? 1996 FLHTCI | Harley Davidson Forums

Click, click, click-not starting -bad switch ?? 1996 FLHTCI

Pancho

Click, click, click-not starting -bad switch ?? 1996 FLHTCI

It's been doing this intermittently for a couple of years. 9 out of 10 times fires up immed. w/ no prob. Other times, have to push the start button 2 or 3 times (click, click, click). Now, not starting at all, just clicking. Battery is good, all the lights are bright, tank pressures up, radio blasts away, always keep it plugged into a Batter Tender Jr.

I think rain/humidity increased likelihood of this problem. I might have fixed this problem before on my '92 low rider (not sure), but can't remember what I did.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Clean the battery terminal connections then reinstall the cables. If it persists go to the other end of the cables and remove and clean them too. After that check the ignition switch or possibly a starter relay.

+1 for what Glider said. I would be REAL suspicious of the starter relay. Lots of times the contacts in the relay will become damaged or coroded and will not allow the full current to pass to the starter solenoid.

Also, check the condition of the cables next time you get a "click" by running a jumper cable from the pos battery terminal to the post on the starter. If it fires right up, turn the bike off and take off the jumper. Try starting. If it "clicks" now, that may be your answer. You may have to repeat this process a few times and on the neg cable (neg post to ground point - usually mounting bolt on starter) to really determine that the cable(s) are the problem.

I also had similar symptoms when my "Start" button and kill switch on the bars were all badly corroded inside. Had to disassemble, clean out all the green salt, wash with contact cleaner spray, spray with lubricant, and reassemble. Worked great after that!

TQ

Thanks guys.
Here's a link to what I did.
Link:

Oops, looks like this screwy forum won't let me post a link.
What a wacko policy. Too bad.

I had the same thing happen on my 1989 Ultra. I spent major Dollars before I found the problem. It turned out to be the Starter Relay connection. The connectors were corroded. I tried to just clean them. That worked for a while but the problem returned a few months later. I replaced the connectors and used a sealer. No more starter problems. It lasted for three years until I up graded to a 1998 Ultra.
Good Luck.

Back