free website stats program clanking noise in the primary, 96 1200 sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

clanking noise in the primary, 96 1200 sportster

homebouy96

I have a 96 1200 sportster with about 24,000 miles. It had developed a whirring noise coming from the primary when slowing down or coasting. I have replaced the adjuster shoe 4-5000 miles ago. I found it worn when fixing a leak from the primary cover. A Harley buddy suggested I back off the adjustment on the shoe. I backed off 1/2 turn, and the whirring noise was solved, but now when I lean left only I get a clank-clank noise. I have isolated the stand to make sure it was not the cause. Any Ideas??? Thanks in advance.
Homebouy96

Welcome to the Forum, Have you tried an adjustment on the primary chain cold?

Primary chain too tight will give you a whine and too loose it may under some condition hit the inside of the primary cover
Chain tension should be set when the bike is cold
However clanking could be coming from almost anywhere and you only hear it under certain conditions
On pre 94 sportsters the rubber mount under the battery tray would get week after a few years and the battery tray could rip the mounts out of the oil tank and the battery tray would bounce on the primary cover but that was all strengthened for the 94 on models larger rubber mount and an extra mount point on to the oil tank
Just keep pulling prodding and looking and you will find the source of the clank however sometimes it takes years to find the source of a wee noise

Brian

thanks Brian I will pull the inspection/ fill plug and check adjustment of the chain. I just bugs me I only backed off 1/2 a turn. As far as the noise being intermittant, it happens every time I lean left, a quick distinct clank-clank. The only thing I forgot to mention is I also changed the fluid in the primary with Mobil 1 full synthetic for V-twins.

Back