free website stats program Clank | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Clank

I too used to have the "Clunk" on a regular basis. After changing the fork springs and the rear shocks to progressive, the "clunk" is now heard only after the hardest of hits.

However, if you did not hear or experience the clunk before going to the dealer and having work done on it, my advice is to return to the dealer that did the work.

It is very possible that the addition of the windshield is amplifying a noise that was always present, but a good dealer will want to know what's causing the the "new" noise especially since it was not evident before his personnel worked on the bike.

Enjoy your ride and keep the shiny side up!

I replaced the fork oil in my 1980 Honda CB 650 and my 1987 Heritage Softail Classic w/straight 30 weight cheapo no additives motor oil. It made the front end way stiffer, which I liked. Yeah, I know, you should really use oil designed for motorbike forks...

Prior to that, I was of the opinion the front end dove alarmingly with the smallest stop. I also dialed up the stiffest level on the rear shocks on both bikes.

Before I put the 30w in the Heritage forks and dialed up the rear shocks to stiffest setting, it also made huge clunk on bumps. The verdict was either my front forks were bottoming out, or my shocks were bottoming out. After the mods it didn't happen nearly as often.

My 2008 1200 XL seems to have a pretty tight, stiff suspension so I'm not hip hop to go changing it. The first time I rode it I was like, "Finally, a bike with a stiff suspension."

I've only hit one really hard bump so far (kind hurt me bum actually / northern VA very good about keeping up their roads) and yes, it went CLUNK very loudly! I reckon forks/shocks just bottoming out.

For what it's worth...

Moe.

I have an 03 XLH 883 bought it last sat used with 1853 miles on it. and is doing the same thing, i took it to the dealer to have it gone thru since, i didnt know what the previous owner did or did not do, they replaced the filter, cleaned out a clogged jet, and i mentioned the "clank" i was getting, told them i could feel it in the bars. when i picked it up they told me they did tighten up the stem nut (or whatever its called) but it still "clanked" because whomever had it before me lowered the front end and the bottom tree is hitting the top of the.... help me out here the slider? so they are ordering the parts needed to bring it back up. when i sit on it i notice there is only like a half inch of space between the trees and the sliders. anyway thought id throw in my .02 worth....

Back