free website stats program Cigarette outlet vs. hard wiring | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cigarette outlet vs. hard wiring

With The Bike Cold Just Unsnap The Fuel Line Then All You Have To Do Is Not Lift It High Enough To Hit The Handle Bar. If The Bike Has Not Been Started In The Last 24 Hrs There Will Not Be Any Pressure On The Fuel Line. Just Make Sure To Hook It Back Up Before Turning The Key On!!

With The Bike Cold Just Unsnap The Fuel Line Then All You Have To Do Is Not Lift It High Enough To Hit The Handle Bar. If The Bike Has Not Been Started In The Last 24 Hrs There Will Not Be Any Pressure On The Fuel Line. Just Make Sure To Hook It Back Up Before Turning The Key On!!

I don't think I would take that chance,if you are going to do this pull the pump fuse and run the bike till it quits ,then disconnect the line

Steve is correct here. Even if the bike hasn't run in 24 hours, there's still residual fuel pressure in the rail and once you disconnect the line. You'll get a bath.

Yeah, with 35 PSI or so of residual pressure in the lines, 4 -5ozs of trapped fuel can go a long ways!

I picked up the 5v/12v SIRIUS Vehicle Power Hardwire Kit. Before I remove my fairing to tap into the back of the cigarette lighter, is it easier to pull the main fuse or is it best to remove all of the junk above the battery to disconnect their leads?

Last edited:
Thanks - I'm just not looking forward to making a "shocking" discovery. I wasn't sure (until I actually take it all apart) if I could simply solder onto the back of the lighter terminals or if I would have to cut the wire and splice in. Its the cutting that had me worried.

There must be an easier way to power cells, gps etc as these are absoluty necessary items on any ride. A siimple adapter of some kind to simple "plug in".

The answer to that is to check a boating supply store. They have many two prong outlets that are flush mount and require a very small hole as compared to the lighter type outlets.

They are about the size of a dime and come with the male and female ends.

Back