free website stats program Chrome or Polished | Harley Davidson Forums

Chrome or Polished

ReefRider

I am finally going to get some chrome wheels for the bike. When it comes to brake rotors I see that they have chrome rotors avilable as well. My question is wouldn't the heat from the brake pads cause the chrome to discolor or prematurely start to flake off because of the fricton, or is it that the chrome is hardened in some way to withstand all of this?

Chrome rotors are usually used on show bikes. If you want some good looking rotors that are gonna be functional, check our some floating stainless versions.

TQ

My front rotors are polished stainless steel and no problem with discoloration from heat.
kemo

Polished stainless is the way to go...chrome can pit or flake if wet acidic brake dust contacts them and leave that slurry in there. Quality stainless really does not rust, but poor stainless will in places...so check out some on guys who have the floating rotors, the ones with the rivets holding the hub portion to the disc. You can see at a glance which one is better...research is a very good thing.:D

Floating discs are not that expensive unless you buy all three at once...at $150 each or so, it CAN be expensive, but on the positive side, the replacements will likely last the lifetime of the bike. :newsmile04:

Back