free website stats program Chrome Bolt Covers | Harley Davidson Forums

Chrome Bolt Covers

ktorian

I'm thinking about buying chrome bolt covers to cover my original bolts which are starting to get a little unsightly. Is this a good option, or should I buy chrome or stainless steel fasteners instead? Do the bolt covers stay on?

With a dab of silicone on the specified ones like rocker covers for one they stay in place but I like the stainless bolt replacements for looks. If you are fussy like I am, get in touch with the place you are buying from and ask for a sample of the show polish SS allen head bolts of your choice ( knurled or smooth) . All manufacturers aren't the same in polish quality.

Glider is right of course, but a good source is your friendly neighborhood hardware store, generally affiliated with Do IT or TrueValue or others. The prices are a little better and you can pick the hardware the way you want, just bring the old one with you to make sure the length and thread pitch is correct.

I like stainless steel, even though in some cases they are more dull in finish than brand new chrome ones, but that is because I prefer the "billet" finish...

Be careful with the local hardware bolts. Most of them aren't the grade 8 that are used on the harleys.

I stick with Fastenal for all of my hardware needs,you always know the quality and grade of bolt that you are going to get.I'll second Glider here on the hardware store thing.I have never seen them carry anything better then a grade 5 if they are grade at all.And one other warning T.S.C. brings in offshore bolts in bulk and although they show the designations for grade 5 and grade 8 they are inferior.

I also use Fastenal because of the quality if there bolts. Most hardware stores buy the cheapest they can get there hands on. Like they have stated already, make sure it is a grade 8.

I was looking in the back of the 09 HD catalog and saw they had chrome replacement bolts for the engine, trans etc...I was thinking of doing this myself.

I was looking in the back of the 09 HD catalog and saw they had chrome replacement bolts for the engine, trans etc...I was thinking of doing this myself.

Save yourself the trouble. I bought the HD kits and when I opened them up, I returned them all. I later got them from aftermarket suppliers in show polished SS which was excellent quality. Besides the SS bolts don't rust inside the allen head like the chrome will. I have used a Q tip with clear laquer to stop the rusting in the past with the allen bolts.

VERY poor quality chrome on the bolts from HD.

Back