free website stats program checking tranny and primary oil's | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

checking tranny and primary oil's

OIC I thought the Primaries were the same Thanks.......guess I'd would have looked kinda dumb>:bigsmiley17:

The baggers have a larger capacity than the FX models.:s
You are 100% right (not that you needed me to tell that:worthy )
There is a lot of miss info on this among dealers and service depts. as well as in early 07 Service manuals. I checked 4 dealers yesterday 2 of which I had faith in and 2 random from the phone book, all 4 said to use 32oz of oil when changing the primary oil. Which is totally wrong if you have a FL bike, FL's use 38oz. FX bikes use 32oz.
Oil Level should be checked when the bike is at operating temp and parked straight up, NOT ON THE JIFFY STAND. The oil level should be even with the bottom of the clutch basket.
If a dealer is servicing your FL bike and only putting 1qt, 32oz in the primary your in for early problems!! :34:

The sad part about this all is the specs have changed in the newer bikes with the 96 engines and also the way you check the oil too (side stand on the newer bikes vs. straight up on the older ones.). Older bikes were different than the newer ones are in very many respects. Always check the owners manual or factory manual and then hope they are right.:s

It gets a bit confusing after a while.

Changed the wife's Lowrider yesterday, TC96 and it took 34 1/2 oz for it to be up to full, checked and topped off after a short ride.
Only way I'll feel safe now is start with a qt and add what ever is needed to reach full.
The Spectro 6 speed in the trans made a big improvement!! Thanks for pointing it out! :hii

Glad to help out!:hii

I'm not one for pushing any brand unless I can see an improvement over what I was using and this falls into that category.

Back