free website stats program Check Those Cam Chain Tensioners | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Check Those Cam Chain Tensioners

Correct me if I am wrong but my take on why they went to the chain drive system was to reduce the added noise made by the gears in order to make the total package quieter. A noise emission thing, not a performance thing that is for sure. Thus the need for stage 1, 2,,,,and on and on and..

Correct me if I am wrong but my take on why they went to the chain drive system was to reduce the added noise made by the gears in order to make the total package quieter. A noise emission thing, not a performance thing that is for sure. Thus the need for stage 1, 2,,,,and on and on and..

That's my take on it also. EPA deals with the noise aspect and the present system is referred to as the "silent chain system".

I've had gear drives in mine for years and it makes no more noise than a chain, I've also installed quite a few in others bikes, some have a whine for a few 100 miles but it goes away. Most comes from a tight spot on the pinion drive.

Also most gear kits have a over and under size pinion gear option that can be ordered seperatly. I've found a zero lash at the tight spot to be better than to loose.
Anyway, about noise, the 88TC makes more clatter than my my '56 pan did without insulaters. And generator motors had alot more gears in da case.

Now that's saying something!!! Makes you wonder just how far HD has come or not come :)... Thanks for posting that, that made me smile...

Yep, first TC I rode, I thought that there was sommin really wrong, much to my surprise all of em sounded the same. Being an engine builder, they still make me uncomfortable with the noise.

I think they had a quality product with the Evo, but somehow messed up with theTC, ya know those poor engineers have to make a livin too.....:53:

Yup your not kidding, ya know the other thing that makes me laugh is the cubes now, I mean 88, 96, SE 103, 110, yeah right, I've built 86" shovels and 80" pans that would literally destroy the new "big cubic inchers" , its all hype and numbers. So sad really.:(

Agree... There isn't one thing that is being done to TC's that wasn't already done years ago... It's how S&S got started, building Shovels that smoked the drag strips... I'm planning on building a bagger from the ground up using the FBI frame and I'm going with the EVO motor as the power plant... Going back to my roots :)...

Dont blame ya a bit, I would love to get back on a real monster again, but at my age the touring machine will have to stay in da stable for some years to come and I do enjoy the bike for what it is...a comfortable touring bike that now suites my geezer-ness.:drunk

Since there seemed to have been problems with the spring loaded cam chain tensioners, and the inner bearings, what are they using in the newer models nowadays??? Gear drive maybe??? Have they upgraded the bearings??? Was talking to a friend of mine just yesterday about this, (he has a 2000 Softail), and he said there was a recall from Harley on those bearings and they replaced them for free several years ago. He also went to gear drive cams and hasn't had any problems since. I've got a 2000 Softail, but didn't buy it new and am now wondering if my cam bearings were replaced thru this recall by the original owner. Guess I could call the dealer he bought it from who also did the service on it and see if they have any records of it. Y'all got me worried about my tensioners and bearings now. Maybe I'll just go trade it in on an brand new Ultra Classic. Can anyone here loan me about 20 grand??? I'll pay you back as soon as I win the lottery. Thanks. :D

Well, if anyone is still reading this thread I pulled my cam cover and looked at the tensioners. Front one looked real good. Back one was missing a corner and about 1/2 worn. Luckily the little corner piece was still in the cam chest. Ordered the upgraded kit with high volume oil pump, SE 203 cams, the new tapered adjustable pushrods, swapped out the INA inner bearings to Torringtons. Was able to check the tensioners with the front exhaust on, but had to take it off the get the support plate out. Did you know that on 99-01 twin cams, (mine is a 2000), that we can't use the new sprockets or roller chain that come with the new kit? What a waste. Have to use the original sprocket because of the cam position sensor and the new roller chain won't work with the original sprocket. So I'm paying all that money for the 2 sprockets and roller chain and in the instructions it says on all 99-01 bikes, discard the sprockets and chain. Why can't they make a kit for about $100 less for 99-01 bikes w/o the sprockets and chain? Anyway, got all my parts in except for the support plate that will be here Monday. Have to take the old and new plate to the dealer and let them press out the old cams and press in the new bearings and cams. I don't have a press. Got a bearing puller and installer tool on Ebay for a good price. The dealer wanted $300 for both for a one time use tool. I'll make someone a good deal on the tools if you want them. Only used one time. (well, technically twice if you count both bearings) :D Anyone know if I'll see much of a difference between the SE 203 cams and the stock ones? The lobes on the stock ones were a little worn, but the lifters look real good so I'm leaving them. This cost more than I should have spent in the first place, but had to do it. I also have the oil pump aligning screws but not sure what to do with them. Hopefully its in the instructions. Any advice on this or anything else in this conversion is greatly appreciated. :cheers

p.s. got all the parts and tools on Ebay for a whole lot less than the dealer 10 miles down the road, plus no sales tax and had a 10% off coupon. :D

Back