free website stats program Check Engine Light | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Check Engine Light

Hi Glider,

I will be replacing the plugs and plug wires this afternoon. I also talked to the H.D. ESP Warrenty Dept and the person there said it is probably not the wires. He has seen problems with the valve seals fouling out the plug. SO far to my knowledge, I don't have a fouling problem. I will see what the plugs look like. Any comments?

04 U.C.

The 05 bikes were the ones with the valve seal problems not the 04, he should read the tech bulletins. Either the plugs or wires will cause your problem or any combination of both, also a fouled plug too but to just pull that out of the air makes me wonder about them.
The injector wire is also a suspect here for that cylinder.

Hi Glider,

Thank you for the info. Well $ 17.00 and 3 1/2 hours of labor later, I replaced the plug and plug wires. Not quite sure how much labor the H.D. Shop would have charged. I ended up removeing the lower fairings to unbolt the regulator to attach the new wires to the coil. This was a little tricky. Thank goodness for a 1/4" Crafttsman ratchet tool with bits that I was able to do the job. I drove it last night and to work this morning. Ran it through the paces, wow, no check engine light. I am a Happy Camper. Thank you again for your help.

04 U.C.

Glad it worked out for you and the dealer didn't get into your pocket. Easier way would have been to remove the tank bolts and lift it up a bit to get to the coil.:s

Let us know if any reoccurring lights pop up.

Not sure how they are priced in the States but the Magnecor Silicone wires are fantastic and I will definatetly use them again on my Harley!

Hi Glider,

It's Back. I replaced the plugs and wires. No Check Engine light. Then out of no where. It has started up again, but only a couple of times.

Thank you
04 UC

Hey 04 Ultra Classic and Glider,
dodomrkc here (havent been on in a while), this is the same situation and trouble code you advised me on with my 04 Road King, if I read right, this is an '05? (could have been built in '04) what are the chances this could be the same issue(P1356)? anyway, there is a service bulletin for a ecm system reflash which cures this. I dont know the SB # , but I took mine to the dealer and had them reflash the ecm, that was in October of last year and have had no issues since(6,000 miles worth), in addition the bike even ran better than before. Obviously it cured something else in there as well.
This dealer helped me out and used my "emissions warranty" (this only takes about 15 minutes) which they say is good up to 16K miles, and did not charge me anything.

Back