free website stats program Check engine light but no codes? | Harley Davidson Forums

Check engine light but no codes?

atm33

Got a check engine light the other day, but when I went to check the codes, there were none! It did spout out some part numbers (security module, cruise control, and speedo), but no codes. Also, I noticed the ABS light was continually flashing during the code check, but I can't remember if it does that all the time anyway. Has anyone had this happen to them?

That's a strange 1, others that may have experienced this will chime in but whenever I had the check engine light come on I also showed a code.

Check all the basics. Load test battery and check cables. Check intake manifold for looseness. Any recent repairs or mods done. If a minor glitch the light can come on and leave no fault..

Will check at that. Hopefully you are right, and just a minor fault. Thanks.

Not sure why I didn't think of this sooner, but the battery charge was low when I started up because I hadn't ridden in a week and the bike hadn't been charged. So, it was hard starting. Maybe the diagnostics sensed that and threw the light?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sitting for a week means the battery is low? Definitely need to load test that battery, and maybe need to be looking for a parasitic drain.

I would agree with the Weak Battery theory. As far as the ABS flashing doesn't it do that anyway until the bike goes forward a few feet? I don't have ABS on mine, that's what I recall about the light. It is doing some type of a check until wheel movement. With just checking codes you had no wheel movement.
tourbox

I would agree with the Weak Battery theory. As far as the ABS flashing doesn't it do that anyway until the bike goes forward a few feet? I don't have ABS on mine, that's what I recall about the light. It is doing some type of a check until wheel movement. With just checking codes you had no wheel movement.
tourbox

That is what we call a roll off test, just like cars the ABS unit goes thru a self test:s

Also, I noticed the ABS light was continually flashing during the code check, but I can't remember if it does that all the time anyway. Has anyone had this happen to them?

On my bike ('11 FLSTC) the ABS light continues to flash until the bike reaches a nominal speed of 20 mph after each start.

Cheers,

TQ

On my bike ('11 FLSTC) the ABS light continues to flash until the bike reaches a nominal speed of 20 mph after each start.

Cheers,

TQ

Thanks all. I guess you don't pay attention to such things unless you have a problem, then it seems like everything (even if normal) is out of whack!

Back