free website stats program cheap forward controls-what brand is best? | Harley Davidson Forums

cheap forward controls-what brand is best?

denisedyann

I replaced the standard controls on my 2006 Sportster 883 xl, with some aftermarket forward controls purchased new off ebay. They looked fine & were cheaper than the rest, however, I have never felt comfortable with them. The rear brake sticks up so high off the normal riding position, that I have to lift my foot off the peg to reach it. Not a safe situation when trying to brake! Same with the shifter side. I literally have to pick my foot up off the peg to shift up to the higher gears. Then again when down shifting. I have long legs & still feel like I'm riding a clown bike. It feels wobbly while shifting as my foot is not on the peg & have to balance to keep it upright. There is no place to adjust the brake or shifter lever! I've been looking at replacing this mess with EXTENDED +2" forward controls that will fit my bike. These kits look just like the kit I had already installed that didn't fit right. Is there a brand that is better than others, without breaking the bank? What do I do? Risk getting something that doesn't work again? Prices from JP Cycles & Dennis Kirk are over the $500 range for Drag Specialties & Bikers Choice. There is a cheaper version from V-Twin Manufacturing, (which is what I used first, it's been 5 years, can't remember) I can't hardly ride this bike as it is & am looking for some advice. PS Thisis why I had an accident a couple years ago, when I couldn't stop quick, since I can't reach the rear brake. Laid her down, broken collar bone & multiple fractured ribs. Surgery & a loose shifter/peg later, I'm just not comfortable riding this bike. Any advice is appreciated!!

It's been my experience you get what you pay for on aftermarket add on's.
In some case's it's better to bite the bullet, pay the extra and get the right parts for your needs.
Hopefully someone will chime in that has experienced the same problems your having and suggest what worked for them. Good luck.

you can't pull of the shifter and reposition it?
I didn't think I could adjust these after so many "biker guys" looked at it & didn't know either. I googled how to adjust the brake & shifter & found how to adjust them. I will try this instead. This should save me over $500.

Back