free website stats program Chasing the clunk | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Chasing the clunk

So for a couple of months now, I have been chasing a clunk in the front end of my 04 Heritage. Triple tree, inspected everything, tightened and torqued. Still clunks when i hit a big bump.

Yesterday, I took the detachable windshield off to clean it, ran to the store without it....lo and behold ... no clunk!!

Thinking back, it started about the time I put the windshield on!!

Gheesh...sometimes I overlook the simplest of things!

I'm with ya there, I once chased popping on decel on a carbed Evo, could not jet it out until I changed helmets. It was my helmet strap flapping when my head was turned to look thru the bends.
Please don't tell anybody I told U that.

So for a couple of months now, I have been chasing a clunk in the front end of my 04 Heritage. Triple tree, inspected everything, tightened and torqued. Still clunks when i hit a big bump.

Yesterday, I took the detachable windshield off to clean it, ran to the store without it....lo and behold ... no clunk!!

Thinking back, it started about the time I put the windshield on!!

Gheesh...sometimes I overlook the simplest of things!

Just curious, but how is the windshield making a clunk??? Is it loose somehow, or clunking against something??? Maybe not installed properly??? And when you put it back on, is the clunk still there???

Back