free website stats program Charging System Info on 01 Ultra - Help Please | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging System Info on 01 Ultra - Help Please

chuck6093

Charging system on my 01 Ultra isn't working and the Harley shop manuel isn't a much help in troubleshooting steps to take. Don't want to spend the $$$ for the Harley electrical manual. Any advice?

Charging system on my 01 Ultra isn't working and the Harley shop manuel isn't a much help in troubleshooting steps to take. Don't want to spend the $$$ for the Harley electrical manual. Any advice?

How OLD is the battery??? Start here first. 12.75 volts.. or is it dead?

Charge the battery if LOW.

your bike is an 2001?

Check to see if you have the proper voltage at battery before you do the stator test..

If you have proper voltage at stator plug, then NO sniff test necessary.

Sniff Test:
Take off the small inspection plat on the primary...... SNIF the oil or did it Blow you away with a BURNT smell when cover was off.... IF no Burnt smell , the stator is Not burnt.

If test at stator proves good, voltage out-put and sniff,,,,,I would then move to the Voltage regulator..

Hoople may be along to Help You with the testing,,,,He is a Good Egg!! lol..... and He KNOWS....

Signed....BUBBIE

How OLD is the battery??? Start here first. 12.75 volts.. or is it dead?

Charge the battery if LOW.

your bike is an 2001?

Check to see if you have the proper voltage at battery before you do the stator test..

If you have proper voltage at stator plug, then NO sniff test necessary.

Sniff Test:
Take off the small inspection plat on the primary...... SNIF the oil or did it Blow you away with a BURNT smell when cover was off.... IF no Burnt smell , the stator is Not burnt.

If test at stator proves good, voltage out-put and sniff,,,,,I would then move to the Voltage regulator..

Hoople may be along to Help You with the testing,,,,He is a Good Egg!! lol..... and He KNOWS....

Signed....BUBBIE

Check the stator plug also, they can work loose and get oil in the connections

Thanks Bubbie,

Battery is brand new, just installed it on Friday. Road the bike about 45 miles and noticed the voltmeter on the dash was below 12 volts. As I kept riding to my destination, the voltmeter kept getting lower and lower. Did fully recharge the battery via a charger. I just changed the primary oil and didn't get any foul smell. Not sure what kind of voltage I should be getting at the stator plug, but I checked and I'm only getting 6 volts. I did go back and cleaned all the connections in the battery compartment and still have the same problem.

the voltmeter kept getting lower and lower.

I am sure the voltage is low but just confirm what the battery voltage is when at 2500 RPM. If it is in the 12's, kill the engine and remove the plug(s) going to the voltage regulator. Your stator should be a single phase (2 wire) system. If yes, proceed to step #1,, if not, report back.

Step #1. Take you voltmeter and place it in an AC voltage scale (0-100 volts AC will be fine)
Step #2 Hook your voltmeter to the stator plug. Start the bike. Read the voltage @1000 RPM,, 2000 RPM & 3000 RPM.

What readings did you get.

Make sure both regulator plugs are clean and the pins are tight.

Back