free website stats program Charging Deltran Batteries | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging Deltran Batteries

glider.

BOT Machine
Posted by "Hoople"

I took a ride out to Deltran (home of the Battery Tender) to see if I find out some info on how well suited their Battery Tender chargers are for the current AGM (Optima, Odyssey) batteries.
AGM batteries have a much tighter (and different) charge, float, maintenance rate than standard flooded lead acid batteries. It is well documented that you really should not use a conventional lead acid battery charger on the new AGM batteries for **indefinite or long term charging.**

They are friendly people with great answers. Rather than make one specific charger for the new AGM batteries, and another for conventional lead acid batteries, Deltran, working with designers from both battery companies decided to write the firmware used in their Tender chargers for an AGM battery…..so the current charger software that is installed in all new current charges is written for AGM batteries. Charger float & maintenance charge rates for lead acid batteries are much wider specs than AGM batteries. By writing the software specifically for AGM batteries, you will also be in the proper flooded lead acid window rates.

Got to admit, that was a clever way around the challenge. I was told that the only battery you can Not use a Tender on is a true paste Gel cell battery.

This new firmware went into effect appox 3-4 years ago so any charger that is manufactured before 2006 may be downlevel and should only be used well with flooded lead acid.

Bottom line, current Battery Tender by Deltran (same OEM as the HD labeled one) is compatible with flooded lead acid batteries (Conventional Lead Acid) and AGM newer technology batteries. It is NOT for the Odessey/Optima type batteries which utilize higer density Gel Cell technology, use their recommended charger. :s

Back