free website stats program Changing Your Oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing Your Oil

Has anyone tried the zip lock bag over the oil filter? Loosen the filter first, place the zip lock bag over the filter, remove filter leaving bag over the filter mount to catch last drips.

Oil catch pan that I use is an empty 5 qt plastic oil jug with one side cut out. Lay it on its side and leave the cap on it. Carefully remove the cap to pour it into another container. Never had any problem having enough room for both the engine and chain case oil both at once. Price is zip just save one when changing oil in car. Empty anti-freeze jugs work great also but are smaller.

I got the Harley oil change kit for Christmas from my sons. Low enclosed pan that has openings for emptying it. Came with filter wrench, funnel, and rubberized mat to lay on. Pretty sweet.

When trying to find something to use as a pan...
I opted for a cat litter tray - it is plastic and about 3 inches tall... Got it a dollar store for about $2

Slides right under the '08 Softail as she rests on the jiffy stand

Cool idea, I too use a piece of aluminum foil under the filter. But I'm able to use the low oil bins from the auto parts stores. It just fits underneath the bike.

As to why it's called a jiffy stand... When the first motorcycles came out, they mostly all had a rear stand that was attached to the fender and wrapped around the rear tire and had to be dropped down to the ground, then the bike had to be moved backward to let the stand be on the ground with the rear tire above the stand. When you wanted to ride, it then got tucked away again by moving the bike forward and pulling the stand back up towards the fender. When Harley came out with the new and improved side stand, they called it the Jiffy stand because it could be moved up and down in a "jiffy", and they've stuck with the name :) .

I use an empty washer fluid contaner. I lay it on its side and cut a square hole in it fits under np, and it poures out through the spout.

F.K.

Was looking in Walmart and had a baking pan in my hands ready to buy for working on my primary, when I thought I'd double check the automotive section. That's where I found the "less mess drain pan" for 5 bucks. Long enough for all the fluids, and long enough to go under the entire length of the primary too. Strong plastic, and includes a little platform to drain the filter on without putting it in the bottom of the oil. I put the baking pan right back where I found it... (picture attached)

Attachments

• Walmart less mess pan.jpg
    Walmart less mess pan.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 44
Very ingenious & good tip. I would've used my kids old saucer too if I didn't have the J&S jack w/the oil drain attachment. Works gr8, no mess & drains into my std oil pan.

Just got my J&S last week I love it. Didn't realize they had an oil drain attachment. I will definitely check that out. Thanks for the info.

Back