free website stats program Changing fork oil on my 04 Wide Glide | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing fork oil on my 04 Wide Glide

Well I'm glad I only have to remove the top caps to get it out. I was thinking it was worse than that.

I have a friend down the road that is an Amsoil dealer so I think I'm gonna try that Amsoil fork oil forgot what the name of it is. Otherwise I would try what you said. As usual appreciate your experienced advice.

That's a good question geezer, I think Jack's answer sounds pretty close to the truth of that one. Sometimes things are a mystery and sometimes if you follow the money trail the truth is at the end.

Dont forget to loosen the pinch bolts on the upper clamp, and be care ful, the spring is still under pressure, use your lift and hang the front end off the ground, Measure what you remove, and you should be fine:s

Jack's answer is probably right on, I wasn't thinking logical I guess.

Dont forget to loosen the pinch bolts on the upper clamp, .... ....

Actually geezer I would say you WERE thinking logically. MoCo was not thinking logically but rather with $.

Thanks Jack I am saving this. Appreciate the heads up. I learned respect for springs many years ago when me and another guy were installing the pre-built attic stairs in the ceiling. He got up in the attic, and I stood on a stool below. We opened up the stairs since that way I could grab the stairs and lift the frame part up to him. The spring load -appeared- to be stable in the open position.

As I was lifting it up to the attic hole, he grabbed the frame with both hands. About that time the frame bumped the ceiling rafter and that was enough to cause the spring to collapse the frame onto the stairs. It collapsed with the speed of a bear trap. The frame hit me in the chest so hard it knocked the wind out of me and I collapsed on the floor. As I lay there I heard my friend tell me to get up and help him. So I forced myself to my feet and looked up and saw that the stairs had clamped both his hands in between the frame and the stairs and he was leaning his shoulder against the rafter to keep from falling out of the attic head first. I quickly jumped onto the stool and spread the frame apart so he could get his hands out.

We both sat down and came up with a better plan. Sorry you know how old men tend to ramble.

Hey guys I just did a fork spring upgrade and changed my fork oil the easy way.
I have an 09 FXDB with 500 miles on it.
I purchased the Works triple rate springs and also added the Rocor Intiminators (dampners) and used the AMSoil 10wt shocktheraphy oil.
I left the front end assembled and for me the easy way

Apply a blanket on the tank and cover the rest of the bike,fender ect...
Loosen the upper triple clamp bolts,
(loosen only) the fork caps. my handlebar was in the way
Jack the bike up so the front wheel is just off the ground.
Remove the handlebar and lay carefully on the blanket covering your tank.
Using special oil ringed socket (optional) remove the fork caps
Fish out the spacer and spring and washer. I used mechanics wire to hook it.
Using marine oil change dip stick pump(optional) pump out the existing oil
making sure to pump the assembled front end a few times to get as much oil out as possible. It pumps easier than I thought.
Optional Intinimator installation at this time, push it down with stock spring.
With front end hanging still add 12 OZS fork oil both tubes,
Pump 10 times minimum.
Now either lower the bike so the front end compresses all the way or block the wheel up all the way up.
So with the tubes compressed and springs removed fill to 4.5" from the top of the tube. (2009 FXDB) I took 23 ozs total each tube with the Intiminators installed. I used a brake bleeder hand pump to hold my level of fluid.
At this time I lowered the front end to expand and added the springs.
I did not use the stock spring and spacer anymore and used the three springs.
Reinstall the fork caps,use new O-rings.(special O-ring socket and T-bar),
I dry ran the caps to find the start point maked it yellow and it made the push turn of the caps easier.
Tighten the triple clamp bolts to spec
Reinstall the handlebars tighten to spec
At this point you can lower the bike and have fun.
Or you can check the steering bearing adjustment while your in the air.
The fallaway should be between 3 1/2 and 4 inches.(fender is 4 inches)
Hope this helps someone.

Back