free website stats program Changing Fork Oil on a '08 Heritage Softail | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing Fork Oil on a '08 Heritage Softail

I've got 2 pints of fork oil sitting on the shelf waiting to be put into my 04 heritage. I just haven't had the time over the last few weeks to neither ride nor maintance my bike.
The tips are a great read and will help me on my virgin flight in changing my fork oil. It seems not to be difficult as I just got to find the time. I changed my brake fluid and if the brake fluid color is any indication of what the fork oil is going to look like then I'm looking at some well spent time in changing my fork oil.
Here is a couple pics of the pretty purple Dot5 brake fluid I pulled out of my heritage, I never thought what heat and friction does to brake fluid untill I refreshed my brake system and saw this.

The most difficult part was removing the drain plugs. They are phillip head screws and are not easy to remove. And if you're not really careful, you'll strip the heads and then you're "screwed". I had to use a impact screwdriver to loosen one side. I want to find replacement hex head screws for the drain plugs (if they exist).

If you found the time to change the brake fluid you should find the time to do the fork oil. Complete and total satisfaction for sure!!

Back