free website stats program Change out Cig lighter on Batwing? | Harley Davidson Forums

Change out Cig lighter on Batwing?

hapbob

My cig lighter is lost and the socket has rusted...so I want to take it out and just put in a weather proof socket that I can plug GPS/cell phone ect? Anyone did such a thing and suggestions on part# or type to use? Wil I throw off the electronics in some way?

It's a simple R&R operation and should have no impact on your electronics. You may want to check out a marine supply store for one of their corrosion resistant sockets.

I don't know part numbers. The only thing I can think of is to make certain you have a good charging system, or one that will handle whatever you want to hook up. If you dont already have one look at the 38 amp stuff. i heard it was good to go.

Harley sells their cigar lighter for about $18 with protective cover and proper Deutch connector on the end,, so I would use it, especially if it is "plug & play". That is what I used and mine was not even equipped with one, outside out in the open.

Use dielectric grease coating lightly inside and out, and it should be fine. You can use the marine supply house type, but you will pay a premium price for essentially an expensive socket. Why bother, when routine maintenance is all, now that you know to keep it dry and clean.

Thank YOu Smitty...I will look it up when I go to the room with the Book...normally every morning after a couple cups of coffee!
Hap

Hap, when you get it replaced take some pictures during and after installation. Hopefully it will be plug and play with no drama...!

I looked up the part..this looks like a unit to add/wire to your bike any where you want...All I want is a new receptacle to replace the socket I already have in the Batwing? two wires and I'm done. I took the original out yesterday...it is very light weight/cheap unit. I would like a cap on the new one..I'm not putting in a lighter. I'm still searching for replacement..

Back