free website stats program Chain Tensioners = a catastrophic failure | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Chain Tensioners = a catastrophic failure

Thanks for all the input guys! This is what makes this site so great!

As usually happens with things mechanical, mention a problem and it won't duplicate itself again. Such is the case with the oil pressure. Since mentioning it on here the pressure has been consistently rock steady at 30 under all conditions. I talked with the dealer's tech, who said as long as it's a steady reading between 10 and 30, it's considered normal. He also told me they dropped the pan, related parts and cleaned out any debris, and changed the oil and filter. (Crank run out was ok too.)

My thinking is after talking to the tech and knowing what they had to do to switch over to the gear drive (new cams, new adjustable push rods etc). the likelihood of debris being left behind should be fairly small.

Juuuust to be on the safe side though...
I'm was to do an oil/filter change at 500mi anyway...think I'll just do it a little sooner. :D

At least I have no more cam tensioner time bomb worries...ever again.

Oh - for those of you on the fence, about swapping. DO IT!

To see if I was getting a fair shake on the road, I called a local dealer to see what they would charge. They quoted me (before failure) a part for part swap from the chain drive to the gear drive - $975+tax installed. My bill (after failure) came in at 500 bones more because of labor time involved cleaning out the little fiddle-de-bits (which also was consitent with the local dealer quote).

As Glider said - monitor those tensioners (or upgrade). 'cuz if you don't pay attention now, you shore will pay later.

K done ramble'n. Thanks again folks.

Back